Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kenmore Elite Calypso washer. Error codes appear ob

I have a Kenmore Elite Calypso washer. Error codes appear ob and Ld. Redistributed clothes for out of balance error message. Stopped and restarted. Ran for a few minutes, then Ld and water remained in bottom of washer. Viewed suggestions on internet, removed drain hose, a worn penny dropped out. Rinsed inside with clorox to remove scum. Then reattached. Started machine empty on express wash. With 7 minutes remaining, Ld appeared and machine stopped. Any suggestions? Load prior to last included a rubber backed bathroom rug that deteriorated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

LD means long drain and OB means out of balance. If the unit isn't draining all the water out, that's why the unit is going out of balance. You'll need to tip the machine backwards and remove the bottom panel so that you can access the drain pump and look for blockages in the drain pump. Often times that debris from the rug will jam up the impeller and you'll need a new drain pump unfortunately.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is the drain pump something I could replace myself...Is this the pump and motor on the parts diagram that runs approximately 169.00. Can the existing pump be cleaned out?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
if you're handy you can replace the part. You can definitely try to clean out the existing pump but often times it won't work. It's still worth trying through. And yes, the part is about $170 so I'd say that's probably the correct part.