Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

9 yr old Maytag washer makes wierd sounds like nuts/bolts

9 yr old Maytag washer makes wierd sounds: like nuts/bolts marbling around during the
spin cycle, so loud, I stopped the washer, took out the wet clothes and dried them. The
Sounds are horrid. What's going on here? Do I need to get it repaired or do I have to
buy new? Normally Washer/Dryers have shelf life of 15+ yrs as I take very good care of
them. Thanks! Jeanie in Houston
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

If you can get me the model number I will try to get the information for you, the problem is the drain pump, these pumps fail all the time in these and it sounds like it has marbles in it, 90% of the time this is the issue in these, if you've never had the pump replaced all but that's what it is, the pump looks like this, and runs about $65.00, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan