Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE side by side refrigerator, model #GSS25VFPAWW.

I have a GE side by side refrigerator, model #GSS25VFPAWW. I just put a new icemaker on it, however, the it does not make enough ice and when it does have time to fill the icemaker it keeps making ice and overflows the bucket. What is the problem?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Is this the icemaker you replaced,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is about identical to mine. The only difference I see is the on/off switch is different. It is in near the top and just flips on and off.
ok I know which one you have , is it new ? did you buy it new?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We bought it new but we've had it for several years now. I just had a repairman come and put in the new icemaker. I asked him why it was not making enough ice and he did not know.
I'm a little confused, you say it's not making enough ice and then you say it's making too much ice sometimes, the only thing that will cause it to make too much ice is the arm underneath that senses that the bin is full is not working correctly on the icemaker itself, was it a brand-new icemaker he put in? If so the icemaker itself is bad, he will need to replace it again, also he needs to check the temperature in the freezer section because if this is above 8° to 10° it will not make ice because the icemaker has a thermostat in it that tells it when the cycle and it will not cycle unless it's below usually they say 8°, I would have been come out and replace this icemaker just for the fact that it's not shutting off when it does make ice when the bin is full, the icemaker itself is the only cause for that issue, hope this helps, the funny thing is the icemaker you do have in there now which has the little green light and the toggle switch is no longer sold so I'm thinking he either got this icemaker from another machine or it was something that was in stock that he had brought a long time because the new one is the one I showed you above and you can order the old one anymore so I don't know where he got that one, they stop making them because of problems with the icemaker's themselves, thanks and well wishes, Bryan