John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a Miele Novotronic W1986. The cold water is flowing

Customer Question

I have a Miele Novotronic W1986. The cold water is flowing extremely slowly. I have checked the cold water hose and filter for plugs - none. I have cleared the holes in the water delivery system - clear. Water pressure is fine. Problem started intermittently a few months ago and is now constant. Whenever the machine gets to the rinse cycle or cold temp is chosen, the water flow is so slight as to cause a water intake fault. I assume there is a control valve of some nature that is worn out. I don't want to lose my washer because I love it but the repair people want approx. $500 to fix it which means it would be more beneficial to buy a new washer. Can I fix this myself? if so, what part do I need? Where can I get the part? And how do I get to the valve? How do I replace it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!
If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know.

The water valve needs to be cleaned out or replaced.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but I do not have the information you require. I will opt out and another expert may be able to assist you.
Sorry for the inconvienience.
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Are you in the USA ?
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.
Are there any fault codes?
Water Intake fault code:
LED is On F6 Water Intake Fault

• On the W1966 note the status of the LED Indicators
• On the W1986 the fault is displayed in the “Time Remaining”
Display Window (Example: F1)
W1966 LED Status W1986
Display Fault
- Cor No Faults Stored

Pre-Wash LED Flashes Faster F1 Pressure Sensor Fault

Main Wash LED Flashes F2 NTC Sensor Fault

Rinse LED Flashes F3 Heating Fault

Rinse/Hold LED Flashes F4 Tachogenerator Fault

Oversuds LED is On F5 Oversuds Condition Logged

Water Intake LED is On F6 Water Intake Fault

Check Darin LED Flashes F7 Water Drainage Fault

(to be updated) F8 No Final Spin

(to be updated) F9 NV RAM Fault

Table 6-3: Fault Codes (W1966 & W1986)

Clearing a Stored Fault Codes
1. Access the Service Mode
2. Place the Program Selector Switch to the WOOLENS 85
position (Fault Code Retrieval position).
3. While a fault is displayed – Switch off the appliance.

4.7 Water Control System – Intake
During the initial water intake, the Electronic monitors the duration of time until the Water Level Switch is actuated. This value is used so that certain wash variables (i.e. wash time, number of rinses) can be controlled during the program.
If water level 1 is not reached within the programmed “water intake time” (2 or 4 minutes), the Inlet Valves are closed;the program is cancelled and the Drain Pump is operated for 90 seconds.

Service manual 4.10
Inlet Valves
All washers (except the W1903) are equipped with a single Electro-Mechanical Water Valve; to control hot water entering the appliance.
The cold water supply to the washer is controlled via a Triple Valve Assembly. Although the component is physically one item; each valve is plumbed (and electrically energized) separate to provide water control for the:
• Pre-Wash
• Main-Wash
• Rinse

If the water inlet valve is not bad, then the electronic control board will need to be replaced due to the water level switch being bad.
The W1986 washer is equipped with a Level Switch integrated into the Control Electronic. The Level Switch cannot be replaced separately.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am in the USA.

This machine does not have an LED screen. The fault is indicated by a red light next to the words "Water Intake" and continuous beeping.

This fault happens on wash AND rinse. Does that mean whole valve assembly is bad?

If so, how do I get to it to replace it?
Expert:  Neilwill replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the inconvienience.