Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Within the past 2 months, my Bosch diswasher has begun to leave

Customer Question

Within the past 2 months, my Bosch diswasher has begun to leave a film on my dishes-particularly the glass glasses. At first I thought I was out of Jet Dry, but even after filling the dispenser I continue to have this problem. I have asked an appliance repairman about it and he told me that manufacturers have stopped putting phosphates in the diswasher detergent due to new laws. Is this correct? Is there something else it could be? I have even tried washing the film off with hot soapy dishwater but this stuff is stubborn and feels sticky and is foggy on the glasses. What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Actually this is a very common issue lately and you'll need to use an additive called "Glass Magic" or baking soda to help the dishes clean. About 2 or 3 months ago, detergent companies changed their formulas and removed phosphates in the detergent due to regulations which makes them not perform well at all.Go to the two links below and you can read why your dishes are going to bad. The 2nd one is a video from my local news that aired recently.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the suggestion. How much baking soda? The news story suggested vinegar; have you heard any results for any of these additives? Additionally, do you know how I can reduce the heat during the drying time on my dishwasher as it has no heating element already?