Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Microwave, Spacemaker II, that has had very light

Customer Question

I have a GE Microwave, Spacemaker II, that has had very light use. It is 10 years old. The problem: Often, not always, but starting to happen more often, the microwave TURNS ON when the door is opened. If the oven finishes a cycle, and we open the door, it turns on. I figure this can't be good. It then turns off when I close the door. Sometimes to fix this, I start it for a minute and let it finish the cycle...this sometimes solves it, but not always. Obviousley, when the door button is pressed to open, the oven needs to shut off. What gives? Dennis
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This problem is a fairly common issue for GE and Whirlpool microwaves. It means that one of your door switches isn't working properly. Unfortunately, because the issue is not happening all the time yet, it's going to be difficult to test for because everything will probably test good yet. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to test the door switches to determine which part is faulty.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will attermpt to follow the fix on the video and let you know in a day or so.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok good luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Forgot to ask one other thing....when I open the door, and the oven comes on, is the microwave actually on? If so, shouldn't this be considered somewhat dangerous. For example, my wife has reached in to remove the contents while it was running. Dennis
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no, the microwave isn't actually on, it's not heating. It's just that the fans and lights and turntable turn on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a frequent user of JD.....and have always accepted when the repairt is done..usuallly no more than a day or two. I will keep this open until I have a chance to try the fix in case I have other questions on this particular repair. Thanks for the quick response to the last question. Dennis
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok, good luck.