repairman4734
repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.

Hello, Im a new member so hoping someone here can help me out.

Hello, Im a new member so hoping someone here can help me out. Ive been having issues with my GE Monogram fridge apparently bought in 2001 by the previous owner of my house. Its a side-by-side fridge/freezer w/ ice/water dispenser in the door if that helps to know up front...

Recently the fridge side had stopped being cold. Freezer was ok but slowly it wasnt cooling as well either and stuff was thawing. This is now happening again where fridge side is warming up and air flow through the vent at the top seems to have stopped after we thought we had the issue fixed a few wks ago.

I guess my question is - is there a way to fix the unit by changing a part, or does it sound like its just time to get a new one? Or can we maybe fix it by pulling it out from the wall a little bit to give it more room to breathe and let more air circulate behind it (the space is pretty tight on the sides too, maybe a half inch, but the fridge had been working fine in there since last Oct when I bought the house, so not sure why it would all of a sudden fail if this were the issue)? Or is there another possible cause/remedy here?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer, really hoping someone can help before we have to start pulling all the food out and putting it on ice again for the 3rd time to try and salvage stuff....

-JB
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thank you for using just answer. In reading about your problem, and being factory auth. for ge and monogram, have worked on these units before. What you are looking at here is a bad defrost system that needs to be repaired. Problem here is that its a pretty major repair. A lot of the freezer is going to have to be taken apart to repair. There are two evaporators in this unit. One for the freezer and one for the frig. Once in to where the parts are, both evaporators are going to have to be defrosted. Parts involved: ( 2 ) WR51X10055 Heater $39.36 ea.
( 2 ) WR50X122 Defrost thermostats $15.77 ea.
( 1 ) WR9X489 Defrost timer $23.77
Its up to you whether or not you want to tackle this. My recommendation, and from working on them, is that you contact a factory auth. servicenter to make the repairs. If you decide to let it be, the problem is not going to go away. Hope this helps and thanks.
Experience: 38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Farrell, appreciate your help. So do you think this is just a case of parts going bad because the unit is 10 yrs old? Or was there something that mightve caused it? My handyman said it was very hot in the cubby behind the unit when he pulled it out, not sure if that might be causing issues from maybe a lack of proper air circulation?

Also, whats the normal lifespan on these Monograms? If the repair youre suggesting is done, do you know how many hrs of labor that would entail from a factory trained tech, and what their time costs are? Depending on the cost, it seems like I may have to choose here whether or not to get a whole new frig....

Thanks again,

JB

Hi, one possibility, would be a dirty condenser coil by the compressor and fan area. If its really dirty, can affect cooling and create a lot of heat. A power surge, lites going on and off can cause problems. Recommend, whether you fix this one, or replace it, plugging a surge protector in and plug frig. into that. Air circulation is important, sounds like yours is ok in that area. My experience with what monograms I've worked on seem to have some kind of trouble between 5-10 years. As for an outside repairman coming in, depends on how good they are as to time involved. One of the biggest parts of the labor thing, is using a blow dryer to totally melt the ice off both evaporators. As for hours involved, hard to say.
Probably going to be a lot of hours at whatever their labor costs are plus the price of whatever parts are involve. Best I can tell you. Thanks.