Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

I am having a problem with a bad odour in my washer (front

Customer Question

I am having a problem with a bad odour in my washer (front loading, stackable) bought it 6 years ago. I do use the tablets that are suppose to help with that, but doesn't, very musty smelling, my bath towels after 1 use do not smell nice at all. Is there anything that can be done?? I do leave the door open abit when not in use. I do know that a small amount of water remains in the bottom of the machine at all times.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 5 years ago.
Hi welcome to just answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be helping you today with your problem.
Can I have the make and model # XXXXX

If this has been helpful please press accept.Smile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model is Whirlpool, Model GHW-9100LW2, Serial # XXXXX Type 199-075 WT/GY
Is the machine level ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As far as I know yes
You need to make sure that it is just off level towards the front just a bit. If it is not the water will not drain properly. The pump is to the front of the machine. So if it is not just slightly leaning towards the front water will pool in the tub and will not be drained properly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The machine is infact off level towards front, 1/16 of inch on one side and 1/8th on the other, is this enough? And once I fix this what product can I use to help with odour. I have spoke with alot of people with front loading machines have this problem.
Yes that is fine I would try to get them the same at 1/8. I use the product called afresh. I find it works good. You can get it at your local appliance parts store or grocery store. And yes this is a on going problem with front loaders. You could also try running a hot wash with bleach this will also help.