The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

(Gas Range Architect Series II) Wife started self cleaning

Customer Question

(Gas Range Architect Series II) Wife started self cleaning cycle and then opened door (prior to auto-lock). It's now stuck in some mode where nothing works. Even shutting off power doesn't reset it. It appears to turn on (Bake, etc) and start pre-heating but no heat ever comes on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Can you close the door all the way, or does it seem like it isnt closing the last 1/2"?

Customer :

seems like it closes all the way but not totally sure on the final 1/2 inch. When we try to restart the self clean cycle it claims the door is open.

Customer :

oven light is also ON and will not turn off.

Customer :

also the door lock/latch doesn't seem to be movable (haven't tried a hammer)

The Home Smithy :

Ok what has happened is the door lock is engaged. To resolve the problem open the door and on the side of the oven opening is a small button. Press and hold it, start a clean cycle, wait about 30 -45 second, and then cancel the cycle. Keep the button depressed the whole time. The door lock should cycle and allow you to completely close the door and use your unit

The Home Smithy :

LOL! @ hammer

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if this doesn't work. if it does please click on accept. That is how I am paid for helping you.

Customer :

I do not see any button on oven perimeter or door or anywhere (had looked for this previously as well)

The Home Smithy :

Ok your unit has a lock indicator switch in the lock assembly then. I will need the model number of the unit please.

Customer :

KGRS807SSS00

The Home Smithy :

Ok thank you. One moment please.

The Home Smithy :

Ok I have a service manual for a model similar to yours. Please stand by and I will upload a copy for you to work from. In the mean time look closly at the door latch hook. There might be a small button to the right if the latch hook. If there is try pressing it and do the sdame procedure as before.

The Home Smithy :

Just located the correct manual for your unit. Please stand by and I will upload it for you to work from.

The Home Smithy :

WOW! 82mb file. Its going to be a bit to upload it for you. Probably about 20 minuets.

The Home Smithy :

The Home Smithy :

Please click here. It might let you download it directly.

Customer :

clicking there gives me a "404 page not found" error

The Home Smithy :

Darn! I didnt think that would work. I have a subscription to the tech site. I will upload it for you as soon as it completes downloading onto my computer.

The Home Smithy :

NUTZ! My computer just crashed! Going to have to start the download all over again. Sorry for the delay.

Customer :

k

The Home Smithy :

13 minuets remaining on download.

The Home Smithy :

Thank you for your patience. I recently installed new memory in my computer and have been having problems since. Time to RMS it back and get something else. =(

The Home Smithy :

Your screen may indicate that I have stepped out of the chat. Please do not be alarmed. I will post the link to the file as soon as I get it uploaded. Probably going to be about 30 minuets.

The Home Smithy :

Ok I have the file. Uploading it now.

The Home Smithy :

20 minuets to complete the upload

The Home Smithy :

5 minuets remaining

The Home Smithy :

I dont believe this!! I just tried to open the file and it says it is corrupted! I will download it again and do the upload (after I check it this time) once more. Sorry.

The Home Smithy :

Ok according to the manual there should be a button on the upper right hand side of your unit. Please see the picture below and confirm whether the button is there or not.

Full Size Image

The Home Smithy :

Upload in progress

Customer :

definitely is not a button like that

Customer :

and I read the model number straight off the oven frame

The Home Smithy :

Ok the upload should be done here in a minuet or two. You will have to access the door latch mechinism and activate the door lock switch to get the lock opened up again.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the manual.

The Home Smithy :

Page 4-5 covers the door latch access.

Customer :

models listed on the cover of that manual does not include KGRS807 but I will check it out anyway

Customer :

manual is based on models with door switch. Not our model.

The Home Smithy :

Ok the model number is listed in the nomenclature page. According to the tech site this is the correct manual but then they have been wrong before. I am going to upload the origonal manual that I thought matched your unit.

The Home Smithy :

Have a look at this picture and tell me if the circled area looks like your door latch.

Full Size Image

Customer :

no. not same. will try to add image

The Home Smithy :

Ok one moment and Ill get you instructions to upload the picture to our servers here at JA.

The Home Smithy :

At the top of your reply box is a icon that looks like a paper clip.

Click on the icon. It will bring up a box. The icon to the top right, click on it.

Click on browse. Another box will appear.

Click on browse again in that box.

Navigate to the place in your computer where the picture is. Select it, and then in the second box click on upload.

The second box will disapear. You must wait for this to happen.

In the first box click on insert.

This will upload your picture, and you should see it displayed in your reply box.

Customer :

Full Size Image

The Home Smithy :

If the picture is bigger than 1mb please upload it to http://tinypic.com Copy the bottom link and post it. I will view it from there.

The Home Smithy :

Got it. I will search through my manuals and see if I can find a match.

The Home Smithy :

Here is the link to the second manual just for the heck of it.

The Home Smithy :

If you havnt alread download the second manual. all of the model cross refrences point to that as being the same manual for the latch you have. It might not look identical to your latch but the repair procedure should be the same.