John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

the temperature in my refridgerator is 50 degrees still I have

Customer Question

the temperature in my refridgerator is 50 degrees still I have noticed the coils in the freezer are freezing up behind the ice maker I noticed the meat in the freezer was thawing out this morning the frost was gone and the fan and compresssor where off I manually turned the defrost timer and it starting working also it seems that the bottom of the refridgerator is warmer than the upper part could the defrost timer be causing the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Have you had the unit shut down for a few hours to defrost? That frost can block airflow.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have noticed frost a couple of times I have used a hair dryer to thaw the coils behind the ice maker to answer your question I have not had it shut down.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Those coils Mitch are what supplies the cold for air to be circulated through. They should be lightly coated with frost. Anything more is too much and is restricted.

To test the timer what you need to do is let the coils get cold, then turn the timer until the compressor for those coils shuts down. At that time a heater should come on at the bottom of those coils in the freezer. Be careful, if that heater is on it will burn you instantly.

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am at work and not at home those coils have been not just frosted but seems to be frozen seems the ice maker is haven troubles also when this happens I talked with you last week and we determined it was the control for the refridgerator I replaced that and the fan and compressor came on but would not drop below 50 degrees I bought the control from subzero is there any way that that control could be bad not letting it work correctly
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
I understand. Frozen is too much and does create an air restriction. You should run that test when you can.

Yes it is possible the control is bad. The original problem was that there were parts of the refrigerator section that would not operate. Now they operate but not long enough to cool the fridge part to the desired temperature. That is a control issue. Its very possible the control is not good.

Also Mitch save this page to your favorites please. Even if its a couple of days later reply back please.

Barry