Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

THE TOP FREEZER SECTION OF MY HOTPOINT REFRIGERATOR SEEMS TO

THE TOP FREEZER SECTION OF MY HOTPOINT REFRIGERATOR SEEMS TO WORK WELL BUT MILK TURNS SOUR QUICKLY IN THE BOTTOM SECTION. WHAT IS WRONG AND WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If your milk goes sour quickly then it's not cold enough in the refrigerator section. Try turning the temperature colder. If that doesn't work then open the freezer door and make sure you still hear a fan running inside. If you hear a fan running, remove the back panel inside the freezer and see if there is a lot of frost build up preventing the air form circulating properly. If everything checks good and there isn't frost build up, you just need to order and replace the thermostat inside the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THE TEMPERATURE ON MY HOTPOINT IS NOW AT 9=MAXIMUM BUT IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO THE REFRIGERATOR SECTION. THE MILK HAS GONE SOUR. I OPENED THE FREEZER DOOR BUT DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT HEAR A FAN INSIDE. THERE IS A BACK PLATE WITH SCREWS AND A BOTTOM PLATE WITH SCREWS. IS THE FAN WORKING OR NOT? ON FRIDAY, THE FREEZER SUDDENLY STARTED TO MELT BUT I PLAYED AROUND WITH THE CONTROL, SET IT TO 9 AND IT STARTED TO FREEZE AGAIN AND LOOKS NORMAL NOW. DOES THAT TELL YOU IT IS A THERMOSTAT PROBLEM?
I FOUND A HOTPOINT THERMOSTAT ON EBAY AT THE FOLLOWING SITE:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WR50X50-GE-Hotpoint-Refrigerator-Defrost-Thermostat-/180666376853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a108e2295
IS THIS ONE OKAY? WILL IT FIT? THANK YOU. MATTHEW
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yes, that sounds like the thermostat is bad and will need to be replaced.

No, you can NOT use that thermostat off Ebay, it's not the right part for your model. Each model has it's own thermostat so you need to replace the thermostat that works for your model number.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HOW CAN I GET MY MODEL NUMBER? I DO NOT HAVE THE MANUAL. IT IS AN OLD HOTPOINT WITH FREEZER TOP.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
it should be located on a sticker near the ceiling inside your refrigerator somewhere.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANK YOU. I FOUND THE MODEL NO. LAST QUESTION. THERE IS A LONG UNIT WITH THE TEMPERATURE CONTROLS IN FRONT. THERE ARE PHILLIPS SCREWS KEEPING IT IN PLACE. I AM VERY HANDY AND MECHANICAL. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD BE ABLE TO REPLACE THE THERMOSTAT BY MYSELF? I ASSUME IT WILL COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS. THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX VERY HELPFUL.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
i'm not sure it comes with instructions actually, but it's very straight forward. It's just the device behind the knob that you are turning to adjust the temperature, so remove the screws going into the control cover and remove the control cover. Make sure the refrigerator is unplugged and then you can replace the part.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.