gst85
gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs
51919146

my fridge stops working periodically, but the freezer stays

my fridge stops working periodically, but the freezer stays working.... what could the problem be and how do i fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 3 years ago.

gst85 :

hi is the fridge section cold at all

Customer:

not at all... but the freezer is working perfectly fine.... and this is probably the 7th time it has happened, so all of the food goes bad and then the fridge starts working again in a few days.....

gst85 :

ok can youu see any frst buld up inside the freezer wall

Customer:

none whatsoever...

gst85 :

great now can you see the air vent in the fridge section.

Customer:

where would that be.....sorry, i am really bad at these things

gst85 :

lol no problem. is this a side by side

Customer:

no, it is fridge on the top, freezer on the bottom...

gst85 :

ok take a look at the back of the freezer wall .you may have to remove some items

Customer:

i see that at the top back of the fridge there is a white box like thing .....

gst85 :

correct ,does it look like an air vent

Customer:

hmmm.... i just found something on the lower shelf at the very back.....it looks like a a horizontal white slidding thing...and it has a hole in it that has cold air coming from the freezer?

gst85 :

yes sir that will be it

gst85 :

the air travles from the freezer into the fridge your damoer control may not be staying open

Customer:

ohh ok.... i see that now! what causes it to keep slidding shut?

gst85 :

it is called a damper control .which may be faulty

Customer:

the horizontally sliddy thing that either covers or opens the vent to the freezer is the damper control?

gst85 :

correct.id recommend you have a tech have a look at it

Customer:

ok.... does that usually just require a piece to be fixed?

gst85 :

it may need to be replaced but the technician can make some adjustments

Customer:

ok perfect! thanks so much!

gst85 :

pressing accept pays me.thank you

gst85 :

sure

gst85, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i have over 15 yrs experience in home appliance repairs and installs