Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician

Hi, I have an older model Viking free standing range. Im

Hi, I have an older model Viking free standing range. I'm sorry but I can't find the model number. I believe this dates back to the 80's or 90's. Anyway, every time I turn on the oven, it takes a few minutes to light, but after it lights, it goes off and on and off and on. It makes a strange puffing sound also. It also takes forever to heat up. Can you guide me. P.S. I replaced the part that heats up that catches the gas on fire (don't know what it's called). It seems to work well. Thanks. I hope I don't sound too much like an idiot.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.

This means either the igniter is bad or the burner has a hole in it or both. The igniter is the thing that glows and catches the gas on fire. The igniter is also the most common issue on these units. If the igniter is new the burner would need to be replaced.

The model should be on the left under the top burners.