Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

2nd opinion - I have a samsung French door fridge.

Customer Question

I have a samsung French door fridge. When it was in storage the reservoir froze and broke. I ordered and replaced the reservoir but the water will not shut off from the dispenser very quickly but runs for about 10 seconds after it should stop. I tried to let it run for about five minutes to get the water out but that did not work. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

do you have a model # ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model number: Rfg298aars

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay just got back and got your reply, the water inlet valve is the problem, you can order this at the following link, http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id=4443753&pn_=DA97-07695A this is electronic valve that is not closing fast enough after you let go of the paddle, it's sticking and not shutting quick enough, you will need to replace the valve is located on the back of the refrigerator if you pull a refrigerator away from the wall right we water line connects from the house that is the valve, I don't have a picture of it but the blue link above will take you to a you can order it, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the other expert told me it was a bad relay on the control board and that I needed a new board. Which one of you is right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well I doubt it's the relay, the relay once you let go of the paddle stops receiving power and disengages, my guess and I believe is the right answer is the valve is probably gummed up inside and it takes a few seconds for to close you can test his theory with the volt meter by putting the meter on the valve and press the battle and then release it if after you release it it still getting 110 Volts for additional 10 seconds then he is correct but I doubt you got a find that to be true, I've never seen one do that for that reason, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So if I put the volt meter on the valve and the power does go on and off correctly with the pressing of the lever, then this valve must be bad?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes that's exactly right, sorry I haven't been on today much a letter running around to do but yes there are two sides to the valve so you will need to find out which one runs to the water in the door, you can follow the line from the icemaker to one side of the valve and it'll be the other side you want to check, thanks, Bryan