esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
15396620

I have a samsung French door fridge. When it was in storage

I have a samsung French door fridge. When it was in storage the reservoir froze and broke. I ordered and replaced the reservoir but the water will not shut off from the dispenser very quickly but runs for about 10 seconds after it should stop. I tried to let it run for about five minutes to get the water out but that did not work. Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 3 years ago.

esequiel walker :

hi there

esequiel walker :

that is the relay on the computer board its keeping the watervalve energized

Customer: Hi
esequiel walker :

being in storage these relays on the board will freeze up

Customer: Why does it shut off too late?
esequiel walker :

the relay on the board is deenergizing too late keeping the watervalve open causing overfill

Customer: How hard is it to replace the relay?
esequiel walker :

you will need to have the complete control board

esequiel walker :

its all one board

Customer: Is it expensive?
esequiel walker :

can i get a model number

Customer: Rfg298aars
esequiel walker :

they can be very expensive

Customer: How sure are you this is the issue? Could it just be mechanical?
esequiel walker :

179.00

esequiel walker :

however water is still coming out until it stops

esequiel walker :

the door switch is stopped when the lever is released

Customer: Is it easy to replace? Plug and play type? I am mechanicaly inclined but not an appliance technician....
esequiel walker :

yes plug and play easy to replace ok

Customer: What door Switch?
esequiel walker :

the microswitch in the water dispenser area its what activates the relay to energize the water valve

Customer: Is there a way to test what could be the cause between the two possiblities?
esequiel walker :

no the board is simply replaced

Customer: The ice doesn't stay on too long...
esequiel walker :

if it was the microswitch the water would still be running

Customer: It stops. There is no way that air in the line is the problem?
esequiel walker :

thats not an issue or something that happens on the refrigerator

esequiel walker :

you have a board issue

Customer: I don't have a filter installed. Would that matter?
esequiel walker :

no its an electrical problem not a water pressure or no water coming out

Customer: Thanks you have been helpful. I will accept Your answer. Two more questions: how sure are you and where is the board located?
esequiel walker :

im very sure and the board sits behind the refrigerator inside a square panel which is visible ok

Customer: Thanks.
esequiel walker :

sure

esequiel walker :

good luck

Experience: my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp