John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE Profile Artica is not cooling.. what to do..

Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the cooling problem.

can you hear the compressor going can you feel warm air from the bottom kick plate.

please send me the model number so i may assist you better.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where do I get the model number? The temp just started to go down one degree to 46 on the fridge, I moved it around a little and it seems to have started back up againg though. For about the past year or so I hear a loud noise from it when the motor shuts down, sound like a ball from the inside of a can.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
have ever cleaned the coils by the compressor ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if only I knew where that was.. so the answer is no..
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
The compressor and fan motor are at the back and the coils you can get some of it from the front and some from the back, pull the fridge out and clean the coils it can cause that problem, let me know if thats the problem please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you talking on the back and under it?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
You will see a panel at the back remove that panel you will see the compressor and the fan motor and coils.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I have to remove the whole back of this thing? I removed the bottom part and I didnt see any coils. What do you think the knocking is?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Well the knocking could be caused by a dirty coil that would make the compressor get very hot and cut off like that its that or a bad compressor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok but you still didn't answer my question, do I have to take the whole back of this thing apart becuase I still can see the coils.. I assume they are all up and down the back of the whole fridge. The knocking only came when the motor/compresor cut off, I assume it goes on and off as cooling is needed. If I have to get a new compressor for this at some point is it expensive? Or should I just get a new fridge? Is it something I can put in myself?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
If the coils are at the back then the problem is a bad compressor and its a $ 600.00 dollar repair so its really not worth the money and its not a part you can install.