Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a 1999 Sears Kenmore Refrigerator. About a year ago

I have a 1999 Sears Kenmore Refrigerator. About a year ago the icemaker (Model A38) stopped working altogether after sporadically working for a few weeks. Tubing seems to be okay. Any suggestions on troubleshooting and possible DYI repair?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker has failed or if the icemaker is just not getting water. To do this, just fill up the icemaker mold up with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if the icemaker cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.