Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
41736587

The touchscreen on the spacemaker 2.0 microwave oven does not

The touchscreen on the spacemaker 2.0 microwave oven does not work....
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 6 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Does any of the buttons work, have you tried rubbing your hand over the whole touchpad a couple times in a sweeping motion?

Customer:

just did that....nothing works...help - off - home nothing works

Repairman1981 :

you will have to replace the touchpad, the only other thing to try which it says you have is kill the power 5+ mins

Repairman1981 :

You have a broken trace in the touchpad, I will need your full model number to walk you through replacement

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Customer:

JVM2070SKO2

Repairman1981 :

just a sec

Customer:

OK

Repairman1981 :

Man, their site is down for maintenance so I can't post any diagrams for you, but it's pretty straightforward

Repairman1981 :

The cover comes off, just a few screws on the back and both sides

Repairman1981 :

Then pull it off, once you have it off, the control panel comes off with 1 screw in the back and you lift it off

Repairman1981 :

Wow ... your probably gonna be replacing the unit

Repairman1981 :

The touchpad for it is WB07X10972 and the price is 422.54

Repairman1981 :

That is ridiculous for a microwave, how expensive was this thing new?

Repairman1981 :

If you need a place to order from I'm happy to provide but unless this was a 1000.00 microwave it probably doesn't make sense to fix

Customer:

WOW! How special is that....I've unplugged the power again and I'll give it some time before plugging back in...maybe I'll get lucky, if not, I'll call GE for replacement unless you have a better idea. Yes, it was over $1000 it's 5 years old.

Repairman1981 :

oh ok ... well if you have to order it,

You can order from Marcone by calling at 1-888-464-2853 or through Repairclinic.com whichever is easier for you. Both appear to have it in stock.

Repairman1981 :

I would at least ASK them to cover the part

Repairman1981 :

IF they don't give it to you free or offer a discount you can order from either above

Repairman1981 :

At any rate you should be able to install it yourself, it's a pretty straightforward install, however it's not a cheap part

Customer:

sounds good...

Repairman1981 :

Lemme know if you need any other help once you get in there. Clicking accept doesn't close your contact with me, just return here, don't open a new question

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

Please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept. Have a great rest of the evening.

Customer:

Good, I can't figure out how to remove the cover but I'll worry about that later once I've rechecked the power