Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.

My kenmore softener isnt working.. noticed the salt level

Customer Question

My kenmore softener isn't working.. noticed the salt level hasn't moved in weeks with normal use. Checked the brine tank and it's more than 3/4 full..
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 5 years ago.

Craig :

Is the motor valve going through the regen cycle on the screen through the five stages of regen?

Craig :

Do a manual regen and make sure that it goes through the cycle and rinse so that it is trying to go through.

Customer :

I did all that also.. On the front panel ( display) it shows it going thru it, but you can hear NOTHING.. I took the black hose off the venturi while it was in the BRINE stage and water sprayed everywhere.. I bypassed it, and unplugged it.. help

Craig :

Check the line that goes down into the brine well. It could be plugged and not 'drawing' water up into the resin tank. That line is the key, it is attached to the venturi (this creates the suction in the valve)

Craig :

Something is wrong right there, either the venturi is not right or the line is blocked. Blow though it and see if it's clear and open.