Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

We have a Viking refrig model dfbb363l The refrig is not working

We have a Viking refrig model dfbb363l The refrig is not working but the freezer is. My wife had a repairman here who said he had to reset the controls. That worked for only several hours and then stopped. Any suggestions
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

If you look at the back wall of the freezer do you see any ice?

Repairman1981 :

Down low?

Customer: Do you mean inside the freezer or outside the refrigerator? Inside the freezer there is no ice
Repairman1981 :

inside the freezer

Customer: No ice there
Repairman1981 :

Then you have a damper or board issue, do you feel any air coming over from the freezer?

Customer: Yes I feel the air
Repairman1981 :

OK ... how cool is the fresh food?

Customer: 63 degrees in the refrig I put a thermometer there
Repairman1981 :

how long have you left it running? Have you verified the light goes off when the door is closed?

Repairman1981 :

Does the alarm go off constantly

Customer: Alarm goes off every few hours even though we shut it off. Light does go out when door is closed I don't understand about the left it running question
Customer: This problem has been for several days now
Repairman1981 :

ok . ..... and it's not been normal at all?

Customer: No it has been this way since Fri or Sat
Repairman1981 :

what specifically did he do? And did it goto NORMAL or just stop beeping for a while?

Customer: He said he reset the controls on the top
Repairman1981 :

and how long to get to normal and how long did it last?

Customer: He said it would take 24 hours to get back to normal but the alarm sounded after 2 hrs so it never went back to normal
Repairman1981 :

So in reality you had a tech that did nothing for you .... I was wondering how it cooled down so quick and wouldn't stay there

Repairman1981 :

Well, if you have air coming through and the board beeping you need to check it every 5 mins or so for about an hour (this is how long it will take it to get cold) and see if you feel air everytime

Customer: Correct he did nothing
Repairman1981 :

If you do then we need to start looking at the door seal etc

Repairman1981 :

They actually share air

Repairman1981 :

If the freezer is below 32 then the damper, board, or thermistor can be all that is wrong with it

Customer: Freezer is working
Customer: What is damper ,board or thermistor
Repairman1981 :

Damper opens and closes to allow air in the fridge

Repairman1981 :

The thermistor tells the board the temp

Repairman1981 :

If it's beeping I would assume the thermistor is good

Repairman1981 :

The board runs the show

Customer: How much are these parts to replace
Customer: Is board do you mean the controls and can we reset it
Repairman1981 :

The board is VERY expensive I think like 400 bucks

Repairman1981 :

The damper isn't as bad, but if you have air flowing that almost can't be the issue

Repairman1981 :

You can reset it by killing the power 5+ mins, but that probably won't fix it

Customer: Is the board the controls on top
Repairman1981 :

yep

Customer: The power went out on the refrig on Friday we reset the circuit breaker do you think there is a connection
Repairman1981 :

I would say the power damaged the board, didn't you say that is when the problem started?

Customer: Yes that is about when
Repairman1981 :

I would say the 2 are connected and a board replacement would be in order ..... I would recommend a tech to replace it even though you will pay more. It's not an easy board to replace, and I would suggest someone other than the tech you had

Repairman1981 :

He obviously doesn't know what he is doing

Customer: We just turned the power out and will give it the five min you suggested
Customer: He obviously does not but we can't get anybody for a week so we tried him
Repairman1981 :

Yeah I would go with a viking authorized servicer, these fridges have lots of issues, but I would say your problem would be related to that power outage

Repairman1981 :

If they were easier to work on I would walk you through it, but a simple board replacement on one takes me about 45mins

Repairman1981 :

That isn't something to walk you through over the internet

Customer: That's ok
Repairman1981 :

If there is anything else you need on this lemme know.

Customer: Maybe it will reboot. I thought the circuit breakers were supposed to prevent damage like thar
Repairman1981 :

They just prevent a major surge, it doesn't take much to damage a logic circuit

Repairman1981 :

Literally 5v going the wrong way will blow it

Repairman1981 :

That is why all boards are so fragile

Customer: Be right back going to throw the switch
Repairman1981 :

ok

Customer: Is that 400 installed or just for the part
Repairman1981 :

It's not an exact quote, it's a generalization, it's pricy. That is just the part, I put one in not long ago (price will vary model to model) but it cost me 700 .... most are cheaper, this one took both and a wiring upgrade. But they are not cheap every

Repairman1981 :

every

Repairman1981 :

Ever

Repairman1981 :

Never a 200.00 board

Customer: Do you have someone that you recommend in this area essex county nj
Repairman1981 :

lemme see if I have any listed in the viking authorized list. I personally don't know anyone, I'm from nashville, but I will check the list

Customer: Thanks for looking
Repairman1981 :

I don't show any authorized there, so not being familiar with the list, I would recommend searching appliance repair with your zip code and ask them when you call if they are. The way to approach it is tell them it's under warranty and you wanna know if they can fix it

Repairman1981 :

There is a difference between factory authorized and works on viking

Repairman1981 :

If they are factory authorized they can file warranty claims, if they are just working on them they canno

Repairman1981 :

cannot

Repairman1981 :

They will sometimes imbelish to get the work

Repairman1981 :

Tell them it's warranty, then hang up and call back to setup the cod call

Repairman1981 :

If they can't do warranty you don't want them

Repairman1981 :

If you can't find anyone close call viking and see if they can dispatch someone from further away

Customer: Thank you for your help
Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands