Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

I have a Kenmore Vacuum Cleaner Model 116.31913103 bought

I have a Kenmore Vacuum Cleaner Model 116.31913103 bought 4 or 5 years ago. The
dirt sensor stays red continously. The manual says,when the red light stays on on the dirt senor to wipe the" optic cells." I couldn't identify the "optic cells" and took it to the Sears store at Golf Mill ,Niles, IL. The attendent said he didn't know but suggested I stick my finger in the hole where the dirt bag is attached to clear it out. That didn't help. Then he suggesteed I leave the vacuum running on the carpet where it started until the red light stopped. That didn't work. I"m afraid he didn't know what he was talking about. Is this a problem I can fix or should I bring it in to be repaired?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
Hi....Bob here... I see you are having a problem with your kenmore..#49 is the indicator..#51 is the lens Remove the screws at #38..Clean the lens.

graphic
Please accept my answer or let me know if you have any further questions.Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am far from being a master tech expert. Can you speak in a layman's (lady's) words? My manual has no breakdown of parts (#49, #51 or #51)
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have removed the two screws on the indicator on front of machine. It will not come loose. Do any more screws hold this indicator?
Part #11 in the diagram comes straight off
That is once you remove the two screws at #38
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I mentioned, I did remove the two screws and part #11 in the diagram does not come off (even prying with a flat screw driver). I'm afraid I will break something if I use more force.

Swing it our from the bottom..(where the screws are located.).The top is held in by two plastic tabs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We could not loosen part 11 following your repeated instructions of removing the 2 front screws. I took the vacuum to the Sears Service Center at Golf Mill Shopping center in Niles, IL. (My first visit where I said I got no help from a Sears rep was to the Sales Dept. not the Service Dept.) The Service man pointed out another screw in the back of part 11 that had to be removed that you had not mentioned.While they had part 11 off, we wiped the lenses with a clean cloth but after getting it all together, the red light stayed on. So I left the vacuum at the service center to be further checked at a charge of $35. I believe you should reverse the $30 you charged because (1) you did not mention the third screw to be removed and (2) it seems your advice to wipe the lenses did not work. I have a copy of the service center $35 bill if you want proof that I now have paid Sears again and should be refunded my original $30.
You were provided the diagram..It clearly shows screw #43..If the cleaning did not help then the sensor itself is faulty..Please be fair for my time when using the accept option..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Re our messages back & forth 06/01: from 10:52 AM to 7:02PM. Nowhere do you mention screw #43 - not until 06/03 at 5:14. I do want to be fair and do appreciate your prompt responses to my questions. However we do feel if I had known to take off the third screw in the back in the first place I may have been able to clean the lens more thoroughly without tension and haste (the serviceman had ME do it)and the trip to Sears Service would have been avoided - the problem would have been solved and I would have been grateful for your help and not given you such aggravation. (and I wouldn't have a double charge.)
?..hat is where the word "Tech" comes in on Appliance tech..The diagram tells all..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You win. I give up.
It is not a matter of winning..a matter of being fair about the question you asked and my time..Thanks Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair