esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp

Amana Fridge Model AFI2538AES - The fridge stopped working

Customer Question

Amana Fridge Model AFI2538AES - The fridge stopped working then the breaker was reset, the fridge began working but now, all the lights on the ice maker door continue to flash. How do I reset them and is this a computer type problem or short?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 3 years ago.

esequiel walker :

hi there im getting info

esequiel walker :

hi are you there

Customer :

Hi back at ya!!! Yes I am here. Do you know how long it will be?

esequiel walker :

hi

esequiel walker :

yes i did some research and the computer board is definitely the problem

esequiel walker :

it has multiple relays that control everything

esequiel walker :

power outages and surges will damage the board everytime

Customer :

So what are my options???

esequiel walker :

you can have the board replaced this will get everything back in order

esequiel walker :

and running

Customer :

Ok is it something I can do fairly easy and if so what to I do. Will Sears have the part I need and can you give me some idea as to how much the computer board will cost? If so can you provide me with instructions on how to change the computer board?

esequiel walker :

the part runs 180.00 the board also comes with instructions

esequiel walker :

let me try to get a diagram to see where it goes

esequiel walker :

to see if its easy access

Customer :

ok

Customer :

Will a surge protector keep this from happening again?

esequiel walker :

yes most definitely

esequiel walker :

they work great

Customer :

Have you found the diagram yet?

esequiel walker :

found one but was diffrent fridge model

esequiel walker :

looked the same though

esequiel walker :

one second

esequiel walker :

the model number wont come up hmmmm,

esequiel walker :

this is the board

esequiel walker :
Customer :

So this board is all one unit and it controls the entire fridge?

esequiel walker :

yes that is correct

esequiel walker :

if any relay goes out the fridge stops totally

Customer :

I tried to bring up the owners manual several times to trouble shoot it myself but had no luck. My daughter could not find hers. Is there anyway to down load one off my computer? Any luck finding the diagram yet?

esequiel walker :

not off the computer that i can see

esequiel walker :

stil looking one second

esequiel walker :

hi there

esequiel walker :

i found it

esequiel walker :

it sits behind the refrigerator right above the rear panel at the bottom behind the fridge

esequiel walker :
[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]
esequiel walker :

number 35

Customer :

So is that the metal plate held on by four screws on the right side in the back as I am facing the fridge? What is IMAGE SRC /SRC etc. and the Number 35 mean?

esequiel walker :

number 35 is the computer board

esequiel walker :

yes to where that plate is

esequiel walker :

number 23 on the diagram is the metal plate you need to remove

Customer :

Ok to confirm, the plate I am talking about is about 4 feet off the ground on the right side in back of the fridge? It is not the covers on the bottom of the fridge right??? Is their a part number for computer board number 35? And does it look like it is a fairly easy replacement of the computer board? Do you pull it out? Or does it snap in? How is it removed and re-installed exactly? I know Questions!!! Questions!!! Questions!!! Anyway please advise

esequiel walker :

after removing that plate you can see the board it has snap on harness

Customer :

How can the bottom freezer still be working and the fridge isn't? At least it doesn't feel very cold.

esequiel walker :

relays each one works a different function

esequiel walker :

flashing lights all that is from the board

Customer :

So is it still possible the fridge is still working as well? I believe Sears sells Maytag and Amana parts if I am correct, anyway do I just tell them # XX on this model fridge or are you still looking for a part number? By the way, thanks for your help.

esequiel walker :

yes you can ask sears for that part

esequiel walker :

let me get a part number

Customer :

Ok thanks!!!

esequiel walker :

Part Number: PS2008821

esequiel walker :

pressing accept for my help pays me thanks

esequiel walker :

good luck

Customer :

Thanks again!!!

esequiel walker :

sure

esequiel walker :