The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have a walk in cooler on 134a. compressor runs , suct press

Customer Question

I have a walk in cooler on 134a. compressor runs , suct press 70 discharge 190, no cooling at evap. tried to adjust txv, and even replaced it and no difference.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Check the condenser coil to see if there's a layer of dust blocking the air flow through it. If there is vacuum it off, and give the unit an hour or so to return to normal operation.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
condenser coil and evap are very clean
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.
Thank you.

Most likely the TVX is plugged. You should see fluxuations in your guages as the unit cycles. On both sides.

If the guages (especially on the low side) do not fluctuate then the expansion valve is plugged and will have to be replaced.

I located a great article on TVXes. Please click here to view it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just replaced it, along with the drier. evac. and charged doing same thing. the screen in the txv was clean.

Ok if you have no cooling at the evaporator coil then no refrigerant is being expanded into the coils. It is the expansion of the liquid refrigerant back into a gas that provides the cooling effect.
I understand that you have changed the components out, but the simple fact still remains that this is just not happening. It could be from debris that may have been left in the unit that has plugged the valve again, I'm not sure. The best suggestion I can make is that you evacuate the system again and see if that remedies the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you were wrong, the compressor was bad, wouldnt pump down , and I replaced compressor and it works fine

the guage readings you provided was what swayed me towards the valve.

Glad you got it fixed.