The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

9 year old GE double door refrig...freezer side will not suction

Customer Question

9 year old GE double door refrig...freezer side will not suction tightly any more...tried cleaning gasket with baking soda and water...still won't suction
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Most of the time a problem like this can be resolved by releveling the unit. Use a good 4 foot carpenters level and ensure that the unit is level along the top and plumb along the sides of the doors. There are two leveling adjusters at the front of the unit. Use a pair of pliers to turn them and level/plumb the unit.
If this does not resolve the problem please let me know and I will get you instructions for changeing out the door hinge bushings. That would be the next possible solution.

Customer :

OK...we can try that. Do we stay on line while we try this? Or re-connect later to let you know if it worked?

The Home Smithy :

The link below will bring you right back to this question thread.
http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/51kpu-year-old-ge-double-door-refrig-freezer-side-will-not-suction.html

The Home Smithy :

You will also receive notices in your e-mail that you used to register at JA with.

Customer :

So do we wait till complete resolution before ACCEPTing?

The Home Smithy :

If you like, yes. Accepting now will close this direct chat, but you can ask all of the followup questions you like in a regular Q&A format.
Go ahead and try leveling the unit. If it works then accept at that time. If it doesnt please get back to me and I will provide you wit further repair instructions and parts ordering information.

Customer :

OK...thank you very much

The Home Smithy :

You are welcome. =)

Customer :

We're working on it...we're slow :)

The Home Smithy :

Take your time. =)

Customer :

I checked the unit for level. The refrig door is virtually level and plumb. The top of the freezer door is less than 1/16" low in the center and very slightly out of plumb. The entire unit slopes about 1/2" or slightly less from front to back as expected so that the weight of the doors should close and seal them. Frig door works fine; freezer door closes but does not seal tightly.

Customer :

It appears that this unit has wheels on the front corners but no levelling adjustors. I checked the manual and there is no mention of levelling at all. What's next?

The Home Smithy :

Ok do this for me please. Use a dollar bill and insewrt it between the door and the refrigerator. Please tell me where the bill is not tight at around the door.

Customer :

OK.

The Home Smithy :

I have to leave on a service call here in about 20 minuets. If I do not hear from you by then I will check back in about 3 - 4 hours.

Customer :

In checking this out I discovered that if the refrig door is open the freezer shuts tightly. Then when I close the refrig door the freezer door "pops" and there is about a 1/8" gap all the way up and down the inside of the door and partway from the center to the outside edge. If the refrig door is closed, then the freezer door does not shut tightly; sometimes when I open the refrig door the freezer seals, other times not.

The Home Smithy :

Ok most likely you have a plugged up condensate tube. this allows air to escape from the unit and not build up pressure inside of it resulting in the doors popping open. What you will have to do is remove the back cover of the freezer and flush it out with a turkey baster filled with boiling hot water.

The Home Smithy :

Please stand by and I will upload a service manual to help you get the back cover off.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download he manual. go to page 17 for the componant disassembly instructions. The condensate drain line is located at the base of the evaporator coils at the back of the freezer compartment.

Customer :

Selected on link...but got nothing...status bar says "waiting for http://japush.just answer.com/lightstreamer/STREAMING_IN_PROGRESS"...however, it has been saying that for over an hour...any suggestions?

The Home Smithy :

Just logged in myself and I am getting the same thing. Must be something wrong with the system. Please give me a minuet and I will get you the URL to the manual.

The Home Smithy :

ok I am unable to get the link here on my laptop. I will reupload the manual. Please stand by.

The Home Smithy :

AW NUTZ!! I dont have that manual on my laptop. Sorry. I am at a doctors appointment out of town at the moment. I will be back at home in about 2 hours. I will repost the manual at that time. Sorry for the wait.

Customer :

ok

The Home Smithy :

Well, two shots and five xrays later.......Im finally back home.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the file.

The Home Smithy :

Link tested and working. Sorry for the problems. Please let me know if you have further problems downloading the file.

Customer :

Tried to get file...got this message:

Customer :
This file is currently set to private.

When a file is set to private by its owner only the owner of the file can access it. If you are the owner of the file please log into your account to access this file.
If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support.
The Home Smithy :

sorry. I thought that you had downloaded it already. I set my files to private due to someone posting all of the links to my manuals on another site if I dont lock them down. I will set it so you can download it. Please let me know when you have it.
Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok file is open for download again.