Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

How do you replace the light bulb in a GE Profile microwave

Customer Question

How do you replace the light bulb in a GE Profile microwave Model JEB1050WV001? It was manufactured in November 1995.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Is this over the range, in a wall plate, or counter top? I'll pull a diagram to show you.

Customer:

It is built-in to a cabinet on the wall above a countertop.

Repairman1981 :

you will have to unscrew and slide out of the wall about 8 "

Repairman1981 :

Then you can remove the front half of the lid and you can access the bulb

Repairman1981 :

So you already have the bulb or need it?

Customer:

Do I need a GE technician to do this? I do not have the bulb since I cannot see what type of bulb it is.

Repairman1981 :

Full Size Image

Repairman1981 :

nope you can do it

Customer:

Are you kidding me - the image you sent is incredibly detailed and looks complicated. I don't even see the bulb in the diagram.

Repairman1981 :

WB06X015 is the part number, Repairclinic.com has it.

Repairman1981 :

it's number 56 ... their microwave diagrams pack it all in there

Repairman1981 :

It is just for reference. Once you remove the cover you can wasily see how to get to it

Repairman1981 :

If you can run a screwdriver you can change it

Customer:

Do you know if I can purchase the replacement bulb in Lowe's or Home Depot?

Repairman1981 :

doubt it. You might can find the generic replacement, but these take a specific voltage and wattage, if it were a 50.00 part I would say try. But it's a 8 dollar bulb .... just order it .... will save you a light trtansformer if you get the wrong wattage

Customer:

Thanks for the specific information - much appreciated.

Repairman1981 :

No problem, if you have any other problems once you start installing it lemme know. Return to THIS QUESTION, don't open a new one

Repairman1981 :

And I can help you further for no additional cost

Repairman1981 :

It's pretty easy though

Repairman1981 :

SSome of these (can't tell from the diagram) will have a removable glass in the cavity, most it's behind fixed glass

Repairman1981 :

Before you pull it out, at least look to see if there is a screw holding the glass in inside the cavity. I can't tell from the pics, and it's hit or miss. Usually on the wall ovens you have to pull them

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help and for your offer of further assistance. Will I be able to return to THIS QUESTION several days from now since I will have to wait until I receive the replacement bulb?

Repairman1981 :

you have around 6 months to return, it is only for this problem. Any other appliances or issues should be a new question, anything related to the bulb I'll gladly help for free.

Repairman1981 :

Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

Please remember to click accept and leave feedback, have a great rest of the day

Customer:

Thank you!

Repairman1981 :

your welcome

Customer:

I'll be happy to leave positive feedback regarding your assistance.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know it has been a while since you provided assistance with this question. Despite all your help including an extremely detailed diagram of the microwave, we were unable to replace the light bulb. In order to do this, the microwave must be removed from the cabinet and we were unable to do so. We attempted to replace the bulb by removing some of the parts, but we were not able to access the light bulb. At this point, we will have to call GE service.