John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

GE TPX24PR freezing up My fridge keeps freezing up and then

GE TPX24PR freezing up
My fridge keeps freezing up and then the refrigerator side doesn't cool. Can someone tell me what the defective parts may be and how I can access them.

Hi I'm John i will help you with the problem.

The defrost timer could be the problem its located in the same control panel as the thermostat you can turn the small cog on the timer to advance it to the defrost cycle if the heater comes on replace the defrost timer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where would that be and how do I know if the heater comes on?

The timer is number 257 in the breakdown and thats the same location as the thermostat the dial you set the fridge temp, if the heater does come on it will start to thaw the frost on the freezer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already defrosted it. Is there anotjer way to tell if the heater comes on ?
If its already defrosted you have to wait till the freezer gets cold to advance the timer to defrost cycle to see if the heater comes on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It took until now to freeze up again. Moving the defrost timer changes nothing.

If it frosted up again the part to check is the number 230 its the defrost heater its glass so you can look to see if the coil is broken or the defrost thermostat if the number 230 is ok replace the defrost thermostat.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I bought the defrost thermostat and defrost heater.Thermostat is installed. It looks like I have 2 defrost heaters and they appear to be a bit different than the one I was sent, but I may be able to switch brackets. How do I tell which defrost heater is bad ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cannot see any breaks in the one coil. The other one looks burnt inside the ends though when i pull on the ends it doesn't come apart. I tried replacing the burnt one with the new one.When they are working do they glow like toaster coils or just get warm ? Also, when is the fan supposed to turn on and off?
its in defrost the coil will glow if the coils aren't burnt If you can pull the ends and the spring gets tight its not broken , .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it in defrost mode when the fan comes on ?
No thats the cooling mode the defrost is when the fridge turns off for about 20 min to thaw out the coils.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so if I turn the deefrost timer so that the fan is off the coils should be working? right ?
Yes thats correct the current will then flow from the timer through the defrost thermostat to the heater.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the new coil glows. the other one does not so it looks like I needed both.
Yes if one clows the other one should as well .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now it stopped glowing but there is still a lot of ice in there.
If you have the panel off the defrost thermostat will cut the heat off if they both came on you can thaw the rest with a hair blower once the frost is gone it will work properly.