Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag Neptune Washer FAV6800AWQ shows a out of balance

Customer Question

Maytag Neptune Washer FAV6800AWQ shows a out of balance continuous open circuit. Out of balance sensor has been replaced. What other sensors are in this machine and where are they located?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

so, you replaced the out of balance sensor in the upper front left corner of your washer correct? Does it show that the unit is out of baance all the time now or just when the cycles starts running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It shows out of balance in the spin cycle- will start and then go out of balance and not spin the load.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok so this is a common issue for these top load Neptune washers and you need to replace the clutch under the tub of the washer to stop the unit from going out of balance. Below is a link to the part you need to order.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, I will try that. If it does not work, will I be able to continue this or receive a refund. If that fixes it, then I will gladly pay for the information.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yes, just post back here for any follow-up questions but there really shouldn't be anything else if the out of balance switch was replaced already.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately- repair of the pulley and clutch assy did not fix the problem. Currently get a DC signal in the spin cycle of the machine. Need further information. Problem still exists.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the possible causes of an unbalanced signal and a shutdown in the spin cycle?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
if your positive the clutch was replaced correctly, I'd replace the out of balance sensor under warranty again and if you still have a problem, there isn't much else that can actually make the tub go out of balance so possibly the motor control board at the base of the washer is bad because it's just not reading the tub correctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are now saying the motor control could be the problem, but not sure. That is an expensive part to replace for an unsure problem. What about the control circuit board.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no, the control circuit board wouldn't cause this problem. The issue is between the out of balance sensor, the motor control board and the clutch. To be honest, I've never seen an issue that the sensor and the clutch haven't fixed so I have a somewhat hard time believing that the parts were either (1) installed correctly or (2) didn't come faulty from the factory. But if conditions 1 and 2 don't exist, that leaves you to the last part which is the motor control board.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In answer- the only 3 things that could cause the problem are the sensor- that has been replaced with a new one and it test ok. Even running the machine with it disconnected so it cannot give an off balance signal gives the same out of balance signal. That leaves the the pulley and clutch assembley. The spring inside the clutch assembly was broken. Repaired it, but did not buy a new assembly. The rest of the assembly appeared to be normal. Reran the machine and instead of a UC code, the machine now gives a DC code in the spin cycle. That leaves the motor control board as the only other possible cause. My next step would be to buy a new clutch assembly. If that does not work, that means a new motor control board. At that point, my cost will be greater than replacing the washer with a new one. Please stick with me for another day or so until I can determine if the pulley and clutch assembly still has issues.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok, that is all correct and good luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Information was accurate- problem was solved. Clutch had a broken spring- was repaired. Additional problem turned out to be an incorrect mount on the sensor. It was inadvertantly mounted one slot too low. This caused 2 problems at the same time. As it turned out the repair could have been done with no parts purchased if I knew what to do. Your assessment of a faulty sensor was correct, but the problem was due to the way it was mounted. At the same time the clutch had a broken spring, also a correct assessment. The motor control board was ok.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok well I'm glad you got it all working again.