Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a miele incognito dishwasher, the intake drain light

Customer Question

I have a miele incognito dishwasher, the intake drain light is blinking red. It will not run or drain. Help please, it stinks! ughh :(
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

the intake/drain light blinking means that an error has been detected. You can restart your dishwasher and try again by just pressing and holding the clear/off/cancel button for 5 seconds. Then just turn the dishwasher back on and select a new cycle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that and it does not work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I tried what you said, it did not work. still blinking and will not go
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
if that won't reset then unfortunately you have a bad control board because that should at the very minimum reset the error and at least allow you to start another cycle to seei f there is a problem. That means you'll need to replace the control board to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I push the clear button, the light goes off, i then select a cycle and close the door, it starts and then shuts off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok perfect, so you do actually have an error. When the error light comes back on, open the door and how high is the water compared to the filter handle in the dishwasher?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the water level in the bottom of the dishwasher is right at the filter handle. not covering it, just right at it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok perfect that is the exact level that is should be, just touching the bottom of the handle. Reset the cycle again and start a new cycle. The dishwasher should drain for the first 15 seconds or so. Open the door after 15 seconds and does some of the water drain away?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i pushed the clear button again. it stopped blinking, it makes the sound like it going to do something and then it just stops. the water level stays the same
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so that sounds like your drain pump has just failed or something is blocking the drain. What removable piece did you clean exactly? And have you changed your garbage disposal recently by chance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES, we changed our disposal two days ago
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok so that sounds like that's going to be your problem. The drain hose from the dishwasher connects to your disposal but there is a plastic plug in the disposal that you need to knock out. Remove the drain hose and use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to kock out the plastic plug down inside the disposal receptacle where the drain hose from the dishwasher connects.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh wow! that is perfect! I think I can do that. Can I save this screen so I can refer back to it? and can you give me any other details so I do this properly. I like to think I am handy, but, odviously, I left a plug in my new disposal. haha :)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
sure thing, just save the link in your bookmarks or favorites. I'm glad the problem was so simple and I wish you only the best of luck. Do be sure to reach down inside the disposal to remove the plug once you knock it out (it's attached pretty good so you'll have to hit pretty hard with a hammer and screwdriver to remove it).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much. I all ready accepted the answer the first one. do I need to do it again?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no definitely not. Just don't press accept again and you won't be charged again.