Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Neptune model MD5500 dryer that does not dry

I have a Maytag Neptune model MD5500 dryer that does not dry any more. I have checked for any blockage in the venting and there is none (in fact.. I have it removed at the moment). I have also cleaned any and all lint and dirt of any kind from the dryer both inside and out (I do have the front panel off). The ignitor does lite the flame but the flame goes out after a only a few seconds (right after the ignitor stops glowing). I am guesing that there is some sort of flame sensor or thermal couple device that shuts the gas off if no flame is detected and that might be tyhe problem. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This issue can happen for one of two reasons, either your vent is clogged, or your gas coils are just getting weak and can't stay open. It's easy to test which is the problem, just pull the dryer forward and remove the vent from the back of the dryer. If you still experience the same problem, then your coils need to be replaced, otherwise clean your vent through your house. Below is a link to the 2 black coils in front of your igniter you'll need to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know the problem is not in the vent because, as I stated in my question, I have checked and completly removed the vent from the dryer. I have the dryer pulled out and the fron panel remover with tape over the door switch so I can run it open. A few moments after I start the dryer the ignitor kicks on and starts to glow. I then hear the gas valve open and the flame lights and stays on for up to a minute or so but usually only a few seconds. Most times the flame goes out shortly after the ignitor stops glowing. Based on this additional information, does it still look like the problem is with the coils?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yes, it sounds like your coils are bad and just fatiguing. This is a common failure for dryers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any chance you have the part number for the coil(s) for this model (Maytag Neptune MD 5500) and is there more than one coil?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yes actually, I gave you a link to the part before. It's a set of 2 coils. Below is a link to the coils you need to order and replace again.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.