Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

we have a GE Monogram MIcrowave oven and the door wont open

we have a GE Monogram MIcrowave oven and the door won't open (ie is stuck). There is a black, rectanble "button" that we normally push and the door swings open. However, we can push the button, but the door feels "stuck".
From the "installation Instruction Guide" they identify our microwave as one of these models:
JEM25WY/GY,31GY/WY, ZEM200WY/GY,JES833WY
ZEM 200 SY

do you have any suggestions on how to "unstick the door"?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

your door lever is broke inside, its part # XXXXX on this diagram, this can be a problem to replace . you would need to remove the casing to get to it if you cannot get the door open, the door has two hooks that latch the door shut part number 1834 is what pushes up the latches to release the door the door latch is part number 1830 on the diagram, it is possible to replace the latch without removing the microwave from the cabinet if you can get the door open because I'm not sure on this model whether you can get the control panel open without the door open, you can try however, does is have a grill across the top? If so there are two small screws holding the grill in place or there are screws going in from the top holding the grill, if you can get this grill off there may be one screw on that control panel part 923 that will allow you to open the control panel and get to the broken part, just be extremely careful because microwaves can hold a lethal dose of electricity in the capacitor even when it's unplugged so be extremely careful if you have the control panel open not to touch any wiring in the microwave itself, the part is only $2.16 at the following link, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/M icrowave-Parts/WB6X253/0022/364/Model-JEM25WY01/0432/0123245?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=JEM25WY01&subCompDesc=Microwave%20parts&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=MICROWAVE-OVEN&blt=11 I hope this information is useful, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just jigglered the door around a little more forcefully and it openned and now seems to be working fine (ie without removing any screws). What do you think?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, are you still there?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry was offline. is it opening and closing right now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is opening and closing fine now It seems all it took was for me to be more forcefull to get it open. What do you think the proper payment should be, if any?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well it may have just been jammed that can sometimes happen but if it happens again you will probably need to replace the part I showed you, all you have to do is hit except and I will get paid whatever you put up the question, after you do that you still have 30 days to come back if you need any more information on this I will be glad to help you, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.