Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a problem with my 10 year old Jenn-Air dishwasher.

I have a problem with my 10 year old Jenn-Air dishwasher. The soap door opens but only about half of the soap is used and the rest stays in the compartment and cakes up. We tried new soap and even a gel with no improvement. I had a technician come out who tested the temp and said the water wasn't hot enough. The nearby faucet was 50 degrees hotter, after running for a minute or so, than the water in the dishwasher. He said to let the faucet run for a few minutes before running the dishwasher and this should solve the problem. My problem with his solution is that something cuased it to suddenly not have hot enough water and it seems like that issue should be dealt with. He didn't want to hear that and said it was the recent cold temperature that caused it to happen now. That answer doesn't make sense as its a lot warmer now than a few months ago. My question is, assuming his solution works, should I be concerned about the underlying problem and do you have any ideas as to what could be causing this.
Thank you for your help.

prd
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Bryan :

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Bryan :

can you get the model # ? are you near the machine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, are you still working on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm at my office, but give me a minute as I might be able to get it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I believe its DW711B
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok when you fill this at the begining of the cycle do you know how much water is in the bottom after it fills? in inches? does it reach the heater?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I know almost nothing about dishwashers. I'm an accountant for good reason--not very handy.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well when you get home can you start the dishwasher and let it fill then open the door and see if the water is up to this? this is the heater and it around the bottom inside the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure, can we resume this tomorrow?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sure no problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I just log off. How do we reconnect tomorow?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes just log off and log back on tomorrow, any replies you send will go to me. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, are U avail. to discuss this some more?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes I'm here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I ran it last night. For about the first 10 mins I could hear the motor running but when I opened the door there was very little water and it was below the heating unit.

I opened the door probably 10 more times, usually rioght after i heard it start to drain and on only one occasion was the water level over the heating unit level. Several times steam came out when I opened the door so it appeared it was hot; but, again, not a lot of water. Does this help you?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yeah it sounds like either a bad water valve or the float is sticking and not aloowing the valve to open. first check and make sure the float moves up and down freely, the float is part # XXXXX on this diagram. make sure its not sticking in the up position.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Again, i'm not at home but my unit doesn't look like this. There is a cylinder, probably 3 inches high, in the middle with a sleeve and then a fan type unit at the bottom. Inside the sleeve is a part that looks like it moves up and down like a pop up sprinkler head. Does this desription make sense to you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes that's it.there is a switch that sends power to the valve, either the switch is bad or the valve is. This isn't getting enough water. That's why the soap doesn't dispense and the dishes don't come clean. This tech you had look at this doesnt know what he is doing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I need a new tech or a plumber?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
A good tech is what you need, a plumber usually doesn't know these machines.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.