Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Sub-Zero side by side model 3211 RFD Serial M412354 refrigerator

Customer Question

Sub-Zero side by side model 3211 RFD Serial M412354 refrigerator side not functioning. Also both sides need new gaskets.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

The refrigerator is not cool at all? Feel around near the lights inside. Does it feel like the lights are staying on?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Suction fan is functioning. Can't tell about lights
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you,

Up on the top of your refrigerator are 2 compressors. If the fan is operating in the refrigerator then the compressor should be operating as well. Check that both freezer and refrigerator fans are operating and then check up top and touch both compressors. Are both operating?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Left side compressor (freezer?) hot and functioning. Right side cool. (not functioning?)
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok thats the problem, cut the electricity to the unit. There is a cover on the side of the compressor thats not operating. Remove that cover and make sure everything is clear and safe, no wires touching anything, then turn the power on. If you have a volt meter set it for 120 volts AC and put one lead on the compressor mounting bolt at the bottom. Take the other lead and rotate through the wires. How many wires do you have, 2 or 3 and how many have voltage?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK Need to leave now for another appointment. Will reply after 1:00 est tks
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I understand. I will be here if not at that time very shortly after that.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Three wires: White, Gray and Green (ground). No voltage detectable in any wires.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I wanted to let you know I am here, let me check the diagram and see what is between the thermostat and the compressor.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The part number is XXXXX
That is the temperature control for the fresh food section, there is nothing between that part and the compressor. You may have to shop locally for that I cannot find it available online.

The freezer door gasket is part number 3-21-015-0.
The fresh food door gasket is part number 3-21-014-0. Again I looked extensively online for these parts and I am not sure you are going to be able to get these, I cannot find them available.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
The part number is XXXXX

Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Give me more information on the temperature control for the fresh fool section. Do you diagnose this as the problem? Where is it located? If I have the part, How do I replace it? tks JAM
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes the cold control is the part you need to change. That is the part attached to the knob where you change the temperature in the fresh food section. Unplug the refrigerator and change the part. There are no special instructions. The diagram below is the rear view I have arrowed the part that needs changed and I have given the part number for above.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The panel (part 84) holding the cold control has no apparent access and appears to be sealed. How do I gain access to the control? JAM
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I cannot tell the diagram is not clear not even showing where that panel is mounted. There are hundreds of thousands of models of refrigerators. I cannot remember them all. I wish I could, its not the same being here and not being there. Most of the models have a diagram thats clear enough for me to remember seeing the model. That diagram up there is the only one there is for that model. Its not clear at all.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Have a GREAT day! JAM
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
You Too!! You are very welcome JAM! Thank you for using our service.

Barry