The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

My garment steamer stopped working. It starts up and then

Customer Question

My garment steamer stopped working. It starts up and then goes off while making a slight beeping sound. I always used tap water and think that could be the problem. Is there anything that I can clean it with?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

If you have been useing tap water rather than distilled water then most likely it is plugged up with hard watert deposits. The only real solution is to disassemble it and manually clean out the hard water deposits. I am sorry but this is not going to be an easy job.

So I guess it's less expensive and time-consuming to buy a new one. Do you agree?

The Home Smithy :

you can try running some CLR (calcium, lime, and rust.) through it but if it is already plugged it probably wont do much good. You can get CLR at any supermarket in the detergent section.

The Home Smithy :

Unfortunatly I must agree.