Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my GSG 22SGPC SS refrigerator has gone from cold air to barely

my GSG 22SGPC SS refrigerator has gone from cold air to barely cool. The freezer side is cold but not freezing. I have re-started the ice maker controls several times and raised the temperature control, but it has been over 48 hours. Is there anything else I should try or just call a repair service?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you tell me if there is any Frost on the back panel behind the food in the freezer section? Let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay, you have a defrost issue in this, this is an extremely common issue on these, you need to replace the defrost heater, GE had to redesigned these because the single heater was failing, they now have a new redesigned double heater that goes in this, you can do this job yourself it's not a real major job, this is the new heater assembly they have come up with for this refrigerator, it has dual tubes in it rather than a single heater tube, if you click this blue link it will take you to a site we you can order the new heater assembly, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/1399613?modelNumber=GSH22SGPCSS#repairHelpVideoTabs there is also a video they had to show you how to test it, you will need to take your food out and your shelves and then remove the back panel in the freezer, take a hairdryer in defrost it until there is no Frost left on the coils, test the heater which is located at the bottom of the coil assembly behind that panel, order the new heater, in the meantime once this is totally defrosted put the back panel back in and turn the refrigerator back on, this will cool correctly until the new heater comes in and you can replace it, thanks and well wishes, Bryan