Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Classic Grill and I cleaned the oven last

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Classic Grill and I cleaned the oven last Friday but it ended with an -F3- error message. The lock indicator stays on and does not go off when I push the lock handle back to the left. Neither the oven nor the broiler will work (will not heat up) but the burners, fan and light work fine. Cannot find my manual.

What does the F3 mean?
Is this an easy fix?
What are my options?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Anne
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

its a problem with the oven tempurater sensor.

F3Oven temperature sensor openedMeasure oven temperature sensor resistance, should be1100 ohms. If not, replace sensor
this is located sticking into the oven on the back wall inside. if you click this link it will take you to where you can order this, it also has a video on how to test it, just clik see help video once you are there, heres the link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Sensor/252618?modelNumber=911.4698814 thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The information so far is very helpful. But I would like to know if I need to turn off the power to the oven to test the sensor? I can see that I need a meter to test it (which I may be able to borrow from someone). Working with electricity makes me nervous so I wonder if I need an expert to do this.

Will the Lock indicator go off when the sensor is replaced? Is that a separate issue?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
always shut the power off to the appliance before servicing. as far as the lock light goes it should reset after this is repalced, the sensor thinks the oven is still hot, if your not comfortable working on this you should call a tech to replace it. it may have more than one issue, the service maunual tells us the F-3 code meaning which I showed you but there can always be more than one issue at times. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have replaced the sensor with the one you recommended and I still get the error F3 code. How do I turn the error code off? Is the error code keeping the oven from heating? The ohms are 1100 on the new sensor (as they were on the old one as a matter of fact). If not the oven sensor, then what else could be the problem? It appears that I bought a sensor without needing to. I need a new suggestion for how to fix the problem?

Anne
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
unfortuanrtely if the sensor didnt fix it the control is bad, ( the clock) you can order this @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Kenmore-Parts/Range-Parts/343912R/0022/103/Model-9114698814/0582/0124111?keySu ffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=9114698814&subCompDesc=Main%20top&brandDesc=KENMORE&modelDesc=DOWNDRAFT-ELECTRIC-RANGE&blt=11 the video showed you how to check the sensor and if it tested good you should have come back and told me that, the service manual says the F-3 code is the sensor but sometimes the clock can also cause a false code.