Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE P620 washer that will not spin. After the was

Customer Question

I have a GE P620 washer that will not spin.
After the was completed the water drained but it did not spin.
It will not spin when I put it on the drain and spin selection.

It also stops in the middle of washing sometimes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

there is more to the model # XXXXX you get the rest off the machine itself?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WJRE5550K2WW
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, do you own a volt meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes but it is at my shop.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, there are a few things you need to check, when do you think you could get the voltmeter? You need to check your door switch which is actually a magnetic door switch, and there is a fusible link (most likely cause) , this is the fusible link, this is located in the wiring harness between the timer and the motor, it runs down the right side inside the machine if you pull the front panel off, you need to check that for continuity, it's in the bundle so you need to look in the wiring harness bundle going down the side of the machine in the front, that is most likely the cause, let me know when you get the voltmeter and test it, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't get into the shop until Monday.

When I put the dial in the rinse and spin selection the green spin light is on.

When I click the start bttton the light jumps over to the rinse indicator.

I just clicked start again and the green spin light stayed activated and it sounded

like the pump came on. Then after a few moments it jumped over to the rinse

indicator again and stopped.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Do you think you could take the front panel off on this? There are two clips holding the front panel on, they are about 3 inches in from each side along the top of the panel between the front panel and the top of the machine, a putty knife works well for this just push the putty knife in and release the clips and pull the front out at the top then lift it off the bottom clips, the clips are part number 373 on this diagram, we need to check the inverter on top of the motor and see if it is giving us a fault signal, let me know if you think you get the front off, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got it off

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

On top of the motor there is an inverter board, it's an electronic board start the machine and put it in spin and tell me what the LED light on the top of the board is doing, it will be flashing, count the flashes and let me know how many times it flashes, this is how we checked the error codes on this machine, in the meantime I have to pull up the error codes, let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's just a constant on/off flash.

I unplugged the machine for 2 minutes to reset the electronics and

when I plugged it back in it started flashing again.

No change after I push the start button.

I put the dial on a wash mode and pushed start.

The light continued to flash constantly but appeared to have

spead up the cycle between on/off - the light was flashing faster.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay you really need to check that fuse in line I believe that's the problem, if you can locate the fuse where I told you it is you can bypass it just to test it, this requires cutting the wire however so make sure you have enough wire to connect the two together bypassing the in-line fuse, like I said it is in the wiring bundle harness on the right side of the machine you may have to take off some of the tape that's wrapped around the harness to find it, make sure you unplug the machine before attempting this, bypass it and if it runs the fuse is bad, you must replace it, do not run the machine with this bypassed or if you have any, electrical storm it can blow the motor and board which will cost well over $200 to replace, if you don't feel comfortable in doing that and you will need the meter, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see the wiring harness.

It looks like the sides and back panel are 1 piece.

This may take me a while.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The problem just let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

I got to where I could look at the entire wire harness and I did not see an inline fuse.

Do you know where it may be?

There is one wire at the front that has heat shrink around it and you can see there

is a little buldge in it. I don't think that would be a fuse but I don't know.

This wire is white with a thin red stripe.

graphic

I traced it all the way to the control panel.

graphic

Wouldn't it be in a plastic housing or something so that it could be replaced?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just saw the picture of the harness fuse you sent me.

That looks like it.

I'll cut it out and bypass it and see if it works.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cut the inline harness fuse out and crimped in a replacement wire.

No luck. Still doing the same thing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any other ideas or time to call in a repairman.

Damn thing is 1 year and 2 months old. Just ran out of warranty.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
its the motor, just looked up the code 1 flash repeated , sorry for the bad news, the motor # XXXXX XXXXX it comes with the new converter on it, you cant buy them seperate, you can order this @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Washer-Parts/WH20X10076/0 026/363/Model-WJRE5550K2WW/0432/0153200?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0153200&searchModelNumber=WJRE5550K2WW&subCompDesc=Suspension,%20pump%20&%20drive%20components&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=WASHER&blt=11 thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I opened up the back of the control panel it had the wiring schematic and the indicator light codes. 1 second on / 1 second off - normal stand by, .5 second on/ .5 second off - normal running. This is how I interpret it instead of 1 flash.

Thanks for your help. I think I'll get someone out to look at it before putting out the $219 for a new motor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I may have found the issue on GE's web site.

Washers with the direct drive system can have the motor shut down.

The washer can send a fault signal to the motor in cases of a power spike or power interuption. This causes the motor to have to be reset.

To reset the motor unplug the unit for 2 minutes. Then after plugging it back in within 30 seconds raise and lower the lid six time. When you start you have 12 seconds to complete. This will reset the motor.

http://www.geappliances.com/videos-media/?vuuid=y2y8006j&categoryid=13830

Thanks again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

you know that came to me also but you already figured that out, it slipped my mind but wont again, we do so many machines your brain sometimes doesnt work as well as it should, thanks for kicking me in the head. tired I guess, well wishes and thanks again, Bryan