Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i have a vintage blue bonet gas stove that wont heat up all

Customer Question

i have a vintage blue bonet gas stove that wont heat up all the sudden. the broiler pilot light is on and the stovetop burners work. this happened before and my neighbor did something in the back to get it working again but it was years ago. is there an additional pilot to light?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

You say the pilot light is lit is this separate from the bake? what I mean is is the broiler on the top in the ceiling separate from the bake burner?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi bryan! thanks for your help!!

okay. let me see....i think they are probably separate. the broiler is separate from the oven (below). when i open up the broiler door, there is a pilot light lit on that ceiling area. when i open up the oven door, i can't visually see any light or pilot (however i dont remember there ever being one - there is a round opening at the back of the oven where the heat usually comes out). there is some general warmth, but nothing ever happens when i turn the dial to start the oven. i remember my neighbor once helping me by pulling out the entire stove from the wall and reaching in the back and lighting something....i can't figure out where!

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yeah usually these have a pilot and then when you turn the oven dial on the pilot gets bigger heating the capillary tube which then opens the burner, I of course can't bring up diagrams for this because this way too old for us to be able to pull up with the general workings of it is it has safety valve with the capillary tube, this tube is heated by a larger flame when you turn the thermostat, in other words the pilot sends more gas in heats up the capillary tube, once the capillary tube is heated the safety will open in the burner will light, to be honest any good technician can check this for you, this is gas in I don't want you getting it to something that can be dangerous if not done correctly, my guess is though the safeties either bad or the thermostat is not sending gas or enough gas to heat to capillary tube, sometimes this can just be adjusted but this needs to be done by a technician, sorry I could do more but I think you get the idea on how this works, you can probably see how it works when you turn on the broiler you will see the flame get larger and in heats the little bulb the capillary tube and then the broiler lights, in your case I can't tell you how to get at the safety or the adjustments for it, sorry I could do more, be safe though please consider calling a technician to repair this, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
good to know - i will call a technician! thank you for your time and advice!

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome, thanks, Bryan