Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Dishwasher Quiet Partner II, about 10 years

I have a Whirlpool Dishwasher Quiet Partner II, about 10 years old. When it cycles from wash to rinse, it leaks water at the vent on top of the sink and runs down the hose under the cabinet. It just started doing this. Do I need to clean something?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

you need to check your drain trap under the sink, have you checked that yet? It is in the drain system itself under the sink, some have removable caps under them you can remove to clean the trap others don't, sometimes you need to take the drain assembly apart and clean it, the water is not going out the drain fast enough so is backing up into the vent, you will see the elbow in the drain system that is where the trap is located, clean that real good it's definitely a clog that's causing your issue, it could be just a partial clogged which you need to clean it out, the water needs to flow smoothly through the drain otherwise it will back up through the air vent in the sink, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The trap didn't seem to be clogged at all. I cleaned it and will run it through the cycle and watch again for leaks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ran the rinse cycle and the water is still coming out of the vent and going everywhere.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
then the clog is somewhere in the drain line, this only happens whjen it cant drain freely, you may need to snake the drain .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Snake the white hose drain coming from the dishwasher or plastic pipe drain?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The plastic drain pipe for the house itself, when a dishwasher drains it has an awful lot of force and the water is not passing through the drain system quickly enough so it backs up the pipe and goes out the quickest exit which is usually through the air vent in the sink, you may need a plumber to do this for you unfortunately, it's definitely not the machine itself it's a drain issue, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.