Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an old 24 wide Kenmore stove/oven - 4 electric burners.

I have an old 24" wide Kenmore stove/oven - 4 electric burners. Everything works good except the oven runs 50 degrees too hot, so the thermostate needs replacing but I don't know the model number of this stove to have it repaired. I had one repair service person out and it cost me $50 but they said they could not find a model number for a part so therefore could not fix it. Can you help me?
Please advise,
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

on the back of the thermostat itself there is a part # XXXXX if you can get that # XXXXX can cross reference this, also find out how many wires are running to it, this is the only way without a model #. the tech should have checked the thermostat itself for the #. I would call him back and ask him to check the thermostat itself for the part #. hope this helps, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the thermostate located in the oven?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you have a turn dial to set the oven temp correct? a knob. if so that the thermostat. without a model # XXXXX'm working blind.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So the tech can take off the "turn dial" for the oven and look at the back of it for a part number - is this correct? I'm just trying ot get specifics so hen I have someone out they don't give me a snow job again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, if I take the screws off the panel where the knobs are this will allow me to look at the thermostate and hopefully it will have a part number on the back, right? Is it dangerous for me to take this off, the panel I mean to look?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well to be honest I'm not sure how your panel comes off but usually it's not dangerous to remove the control panel as long issue are not doing this with the power on, make sure you shut the power off at the breaker and then see if you are able to remove the panel and try to get a look at the backside of the thermostat, maybe if you can't get your head in there you can use a small mirror to see the numbers with a tag, wish I could do more however I'm in the blind on how this one comes apart so you will have to take it one step at a time and if you think you getting in over your head call the technician back and ask him to do it, tell him you were told there'll be a number on the thermostat and that he should have at least tried to get that number, thanks and well wishes, Bryan