Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our PLHS69EGSS4 ice maker is not making ice - the bin is empty.

Our PLHS69EGSS4 ice maker is not making ice - the bin is empty. Wire arm is down & power switch is ON. Has new filter and water dispenser is working fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Do you know if the icemaker is cycling? What position the fingers in on the icemaker itself? The white fingers in this picture,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see fingers like that on my model. Cannot detect any cycling movement nor sound.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
You may not be able to see the fingers depending on their position, believe me the icemaker has fingers and if they are stuck down what you can't see them means the icemaker has failed, can you reach in and put your fingers in with the ice itself is made and see if there is ice in the icemaker or if you can feel the fingers down inside the icemaker? They are called the ice ejector, number 18 on this diagram, if these are down inside with the cubes are made the icemaker has failed, let me know if you can feel them,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Removed ice cream tray and now see fingers. They are pointed away from me and angled slightly upward from horizontal. They do not move much by touch.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay so they are kind of facing about a 10 to 11 o'clock position? And they are not moving correct? Trying pulling on them toward you clockwise and see if it starts moving, let me know thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fingers now in down (vertical) position.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

did water come in? did it move by itself or did you pull them ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I pulled but nothing happened. Looked away then looked back and they had moved down on their own. Now they went back up on their own. Do not detect any water.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
if no water is going in then the water valve has failed, this has a triple water valve and there are different solenoids on it to control the water in the door and separate ones for the icemaker, in other words the water in the door could work but the icemaker may not, the valve is not opening on the side that feeds the icemaker, you need to replace the valve, here is a link where you can order the part and there is also a video at the link that shows you how to replace it, click this blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/1259226?modelNumber=PLHS69EGSS4 thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How tough is this for a newbie to do?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
It's not very hard, the valve is located where the water line from the house connects to the back of the refrigerator, there will be a couple of hoses on it and some plug in connectors for the wiring, the video shows you how to do it, it's really a pretty simple job just make sure you shut the water off going to the refrigerator before starting the job, thanks and well wishes, Bryan