Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a whirlpool Gold Refrigerator and the freezer stays

I have a whirlpool Gold Refrigerator and the freezer stays cold but the refregerator section does not. What do i do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Is the fan blowing air in the freezer? Look at the rear wall inside the freezer. Can you find frost on that wall?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fan blows, yes frost on wall
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
You are going to need to defrost the freezer. You can either unplug the refrigerator and open the doors for about 8 hours or you can remove everything in the freezer and take out the rear wall. You can then use a blow dryer to defrost the coils behind that wall, if there is a coating across that wall the frost will be thick behind it. This will get you about 2 weeks of use before it will need defrosting again. A part is broken.

Do you have an ohm meter?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes i have an ohm meter
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Great. I am going to get another diagram and I will type out the test to make. That will tell us which part is bad. I know you may want to get started, if you do thats fine. I will be here 3 more hours. I will have your post up shortly and if you have questions about it you can ask.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks i'll get back to you.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Wrapped around the coils behind that panel in the freezer is the defrost heater arrowed blue in the top diagram. Disconnect that heater, set your meter to any ohm setting. If you get a reading its good. Any reading is ok. No reading is bad, replace the heater.

Arrowed red is the the defrost thermostat. This part must be frosty white cold to test. It will not read unless it is. Frosty cold for the defrost thermostat is any ohm reading is good, no reading is bad.

The test for the board is to verify the heater and thermostat is good. That leaves the board as the bad part. One of the 3 defrost parts is bad and if you test 2 that test good by elimination the board is bad. That is the way its tested. The board is located in your fresh food section at the top and the buttons you press to adjust the temperature are actually attached and are part of that board. I have arrowed it red and is in the lower diagram. To replace any of these parts you need to unplug the unit and change them out.

The board is different. You will have a sheet to follow and a code to enter to program the board. There is a sticker in your fresh food section with your model and serial number. On that same sticker you will find the word code followed by four numbers. Thats your code.

The top diagram arrowed blue is the defrost heater.
Arrowed red is the defrost thermostat.

In the bottom diagram is arrowed the control board.

The heater is factory part number 12729128

The defrost thermostat is part number 12639324SP

The control board is factory part number 12868513

That should get you well on the right track. If you have questions please ask.