Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How do I reset the dishwasher (Kenmore Elite #66516053402)

Customer Question

How do I reset the dishwasher (Kenmore Elite #66516053402) - had same problem last month but don't remember which two buttons to depress.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

To reset the control board: Press "high temp wash, heated dry, High temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash, heated dry, high temp wash"

All the lights will go solid at which point you press cancel to reset the board.

**NOTE** if you don't have a "heated dry" button, use the "air dry" or "energy saver dry" button instead.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The above didn't work. "Pots&Pans" & "HeatedDry" buttons lit. When I press the "Cancel/Drain" button, it sounds like it's draining but it hasn't been run in over a week. Company coming and I need help! Thanks.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok then it doesn't sound like your control board needs to be reset if the cancel/drain button still work. This means that your control board has just failed and will need to be replaced. Below is a link to the part you need to order.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We just replaced it - within the last 6 wks. - at a cost of almost $200.00. What next?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
the cost shouldn't be $200 for the part, but by chance, what shape is your element? Round or shaped sort of like a house?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you mean the heating element?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yes, the heating element. The round one was re-designed because it drew too much power and often shorted out the control board. So if your have a round heating element, you may need to replace that.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Ours is shaped like a house.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Further - "NormalWash" button flashing now. Earlier it was "Pots&Pans"
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
so the flashing button usually means your touchpad is shorted, but if the cancel button is still working, I'd still replace the control board because the unit should allow any of the buttons to work if one of them is shorted. The control board is probably just giving off false error codes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We just removed the cover to check the board. Board is clean; connections are good. The board was purchased 2/25/11 (a little longer ago than I thought) for $182.26 amd carries a l-yr. guarantee but they want to send somebody out to test it to be sure it's not defective ($57.00 service call and not before Thurs. p.m.)... any other suggestions?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no really, the control board just sounds like it's bad. You can try flipping the circuit breaker off for 60 seconds to see if that will reset the control board, if not the board just needs to be replaced.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Eubanks repairman just left - wants to fix the dishwasher with a control panel at a cost of $303.89. We paid the $56 service call. Now, what's the difference between a control panel and a control board? What do you suggest? Do we need to go and buy a new dishwasher or bring this guy back? Can we order the control panel ourselves from Kenmore/Sears and install ourselves? (labor: $112.00) Please advise ASAP.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
you can definitely order the control panel (this is your touchpad) yourself and replace it, it's the same process as replacing the control board for the most part. The flashing light does mean that your touchpad is shorted (if a light over one of the cycle buttons continues to flash and you can't press any other button), but based on your above statement that the cancel/drain button used to work I still think your control board is bad. You can replace the touchpad if you want, there isn't a way to test the parts, but it's completely a judgment call.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We were told the serviceman could test the board (we bought in Feb.) I didn't see any testing equipment. He was going by the schematics and said we needed a new control panel. We understand your advising that there is no way to test the control board/parts so would you (A) buy a new dishwasher (this one is less than 5 yrs. old) or (B) order a new control panel and install it ourselves, which we are able to do. (Remember, company coming in tomorrow!!!!) Thanks and reply ASAP.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yeah, whatever said he claims he did on the board is completely bogus because there is no way to confirm either part. It's really a tough call if company is coming tomorrow. I would probably by the control panel and the control board (it'll be a lot cheaper than a new dishwasher), and then install one of them (whatever you feel is most likely, or whichever one is cheapest). If the problem isn't solved, then install the other part and the problem will be solved. If you don't use the 2nd part, you can always return it.

I'm not even sure you'd be able to get a dishwasher delivered in 1 day, that would be the other consern if you did want to replace the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much. Do you have a link to purchase the control panel for this dishwasher or do I have to go back to Sears or whatever?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
that one you'll want to call Sears on because there are several colors and serial breaks. I wouldn't be able to look up the correct part for certain.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just ordered the part from Sears - 7 day dely. but what the heck! Always had to wash dishes by hand as a child - it'll take me back to those good old days. Thanks again for all your advice..Smile
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
alright no problem. And I hope everything goes ok.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're not gonna believe this - it's me again! Well, the morning after "Eubanks Man" left, we opened the dishwasher door to retrieve all the dirty dishes inside and the darn thing gave out a gut-wrenching creak/squeak that was probably heard for miles! I'm serious. The door is out of alignment and the sound unbearable. Called Eubanks back and asked them to send "Man" back as we hadn't had a problem prior to his service call. They said I'd be charged another service call ($56) since it was our word against

his. I asked for the owner/manager/supervisor to call; he's "out of town" but would be back yesterday around 3:00 and he'd give us a call. Heard nothing. This a.m. they called to send "Man" back to look at the problem (yes, $56 service call). We didn't return the call. What we've done, so far, is: tried to realign the dishwasher door (no success) -sprayed WD-40 onto the hinged area (no success) and now what? Any ideas? What could cause this nasty, loud squeak (mostly on the raising the door rather than lowering it but it happens both times?) Hope to hear from you. BTW, this hand washing all these dishes, pots & pans, etc., takes me back to when I was young before dishwashers!!!!! Liked it then - don't like it now...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Actually the noise is fairly common on this model as well and very easy to fix. If you pull the dishwasher out a bit, you'll see 2 cables (one on each side of the dishwasher. These are nylon cables that tend to creak really loudly. You can't use WD40, but if you have a thicker grease, you can coat these nylon cables in a grease and the creaking should go away pretty easily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Golly! You are the man!!!! Will try it ASAP and let you know. Do you recommend any kind of grease?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I just use a lithium grease, but really anything that is thick enough for bearings will work just fine. WD-40 is just light.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FedEx delivered the part this afternoon - I installed it, started up the dishwasher and it worked! Thanks again for all your help - you saved us over $200 from the Eubanks guy. Eubanks guy wanted $120+ to install - I did it in less than 20 min. at no cost - pretty simple.) Thanks again, "Appliance Doc."
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no problem, glad you got it working again. You have a great rest of the day.

What part did you end up replacing after all anyways? Because I know it could have been the touchpad or control board, just curious which one you chose to replace
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We replaced the control panel. And your fix for the nasty door squeak with lithium grease worked like a charm. Thanks again.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
awesome good luck.