Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We recently replaced the ice maker on our Kenmoore side by

Customer Question

We recently replaced the ice maker on our Kenmoore side by side with no luck. Then replaced the valvle this weekend, still nothing. We heard it making noise and thought we good, but it's now been over 24 hours. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

do you have a model #?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay great, open your freezer door and on the right side there is a red light that should be blinking is it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, on the other side there is a flap directly across from it it has a hole in it pushed the flap in without covering the hole with your finger and tell me what the light does then. Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The red light stays on continuously. I had done a lot of research prior to installing the new ice maker, and it seems like everything is working as it should other than the obvious - no ice!!

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay have you checked to see if the line is frozen? What you need to do is pull a refrigerator away from the wall and go in the back take the line that goes up into the freezer to the icemaker and there should be a quick connect on the back to disconnect that plastic line, if not you may have to take it off at the valve, then you need to blow through it into the freezer, if you cannot blow through it is frozen in the ceiling of the refrigerator, this is a very common problem and we run into this a lot, this is also a very difficult problem to solve because it freezes up inside the casing of the refrigerator and the ceiling and you can't get to it, of course the best way would be to unplug the refrigerator for a day or two and leave the doors open and let everything defrost but that option is difficult if you only have one refrigerator, the only other way is to take a hairdryer and warm the ceiling of the freezer until the water start dripping out of the black rubber to that drops water into the icemaker, I'd be willing to bet this is your issue unless you already checked that, do you know if the icemaker even cycles? Is it turning?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can you tell if it's turning? Like I said, right after we put the new valve in we heard noise, and I am occasionally hearing something like sounds like it's the icemaker. Almost like it's trying to work but no water coming out. There definitely has not been any dripping from the rubber tube. I'll check to see if it's frozen but will have to wait until my husband gets home. The last time I moved it myself I scratched the floor up pretty bad. Say it is frozen and we get it defrosted. What's to keep it happening again? turn down the temp?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay please wait for your husband to help you move this, like I said I'd almost be willing to bet it's frozen because you guys have covered almost every base, and you said you hear it every now and then trying to cycle or water trying to go in this tells me the line is frozen, as far as keeping it from happening again nothing, there is absolutely nothing that can be done for that, it's a poor design the tube runs inside between the ceiling of the freezer and the top of the refrigerator a very small space it does have insulation but it's not enough and this will happen every now and again, it's just something you have to live with because you can't take the case apart, normally however it doesn't happen a lot so it may not happen for another year or two or maybe never, it's just one of those things you can't control, I am going to be signing off for the night so you can respond and leave me a message and it will be sent directly to me and I will pick it up in the morning, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I'll try to get this figured out and let you know what I find. It's possible I installed the ice maker wrong, but I don't think so. again, I'll let you know. Have a good evening....
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
there only one way to put the ice maker in, the plug only goes one way so you cant reverse that.