John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Thermal fuse keeps blowing on my Whirlpool dishwasher, Type

Thermal fuse keeps blowing on my Whirlpool dishwasher, Type 575-0; Model IUD8000RQ0; s/n FS0901054, purchased from Ikea about 4 years ago. I replaced the controller PC board once, but it's still happening. The location on the bad board that's burned is P8, a male quick disconnecto tab. On the bottom of the board, the trace leading to one side of the tab is labeled TP94. There is a label adjacent to the tab's other side that says SWT_L1. What circuit in the machine is this and can I backtrack to the component that's (I assume) pulling too much current?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hi I'm John I will help you with the problem.

When a fuse keeps blowing like that its usually caused by the connection at the heater element , I would check that for moisture or a loose connection.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I'll check that. I'm assuming this would be a connector on the outside, bottom of the dishwasher...? This makes sense, as the cycle seems to finish the washing, but the fuse blows before the cycle is completely done. However, does the heating element come on even when I don't have the "Heated Dry" option selected?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Yes it comes on to heat the water during the last rinse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I'll check that when I get home from work this afternoon. The connection is on the bottom, outside of the dishwasher, right?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Yes , what you can do is disconnect the wires from the element and tape them up separately this will tell you for sure if its the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By tape them up separately, do you mean remove the element from the circuit? or, to make certain the hookup at the element is solid?

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Remove the wires from the circuit so the element is ff line this will tell you for sure if the connections are the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do heating elements themselves gradually go bad and need replacement? This failure of the thermal fuse happened for the 2nd time, on the new pcb, and after a couple weeks of no problems. Removing the heating element from the circuit may or may not correct the problem, but I won't know for sure for perhaps a month or more, because the failure is a cometime occurence. The problem comes and goes, and I'm wondering if I should just replace the heating element. If there is moisture getting on the connections, is this coming from a leak in the bottom seal? or, ambient humidity?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Its usually caused by moisture and or a loose connection, once you get to the connections you will be able to see if its moisture or a loose connection.the element may have to be replaced .Rust on the connections can cause that to happen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I'll try that. Will I be able to get in touch with you if I have more questions?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
yes you can just add this to your favorites.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.