Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

problem started in our mgs5870adb oven with the top burners

problem started in our mgs5870adb oven with the top burners not lighting all the time even though you still hear the electric ignition. now the problem has progressed to the oven the top coil glows hot but the oven takes a half hour to get to 350 degreese.i cant hear the gas flowing to the oven,i always could before.now when i get up in the morning i can smell a little bit of gas comming from the stove.i should have told you i checked the igniter in the oven and it still glows pretty bright.any ideas
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

This is a common issue as far as the oven is concerned, even though the igniter still glows pretty brightly doesn't mean it's good, these igniters have to draw certain amount of amps to open the safety valve correctly, if it's weak the valve does not open or stay open as long as it should especially in preheat, trust me the igniter is weak and needs to be replaced,the should be replaced depending on how much you use your oven at least every 5 to 6 years, less if you use your oven a lot, you can order one of these at the following link, or pick one up locally, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Hot-Surface-Glow-Bar-Igniter/3377?modelNumber=MGS5870ADB this will take care of the oven issue, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
bryan,what about the top gas burners not lighting all the time.does that also have to do with the oven igniter?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That problem is most likely that the burner itself has little holes on the side to the main burner, the holes are located right where the igniter sparks, most of the time taking a needle and cleaning these holes out so the gas can flow up and bring the flame to the top will usually take care of that, if that doesn't take care of it it maybe you have a weak spark, has this been going on since you got the oven? Or is this something that is started recently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since i got the oven.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Have you ever had this looked at when it was new? If it's been going on since the beginning it wouldnt be the holes being clogged up, this is natural gas or propane?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is gas
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
My guess is on that is your burners need adjusting, they need to be opened up a bit let more gas flow, this would have to be done by a qualified gas technician however, he needs to turn the orifices out a little bit at a time until these lite correctly this should have been done on this was installed, the orifices are the gold parts under the burner itself you can see them sticking up in this diagram and part number six, by opening these up a little bit it will allow more gas to flow when you turn the burner on which will help spark ignite them, this is kind of a delicate procedure and should be done by a gas technician to be honest, they need to be adjusted correctly, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.