Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

How does the lack of a downdraft vent affect the performance

How does the lack of a downdraft vent affect the performance of our model JES9800AAS, SN 16928326EG Jenn-Air Electric? It had been installed in our 1998-built condo unit prior to our purchase of the unit in November 2007. There is a vent above the cook top with filters and evacuator fans that works effectively. We have almost never used the range as we have a high quality toaster oven, but when we did, it seemed to do the job well. We assume that cost considerations kept the previous owners from installing the downdraft vent. A reputable local service company inspected and approved the Jenn-Air for inclusion in our appliance service agreement. Thank you, XXXXX  NOTE: the prospective purchaser of our condo has expressed concern that the downdraft is not functioning-it is important to distinguish if the downdraft benefit is simply the style benefit of not need for the overhead vents or if it improves performance, and if so, how.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

It doesn't really affect the performance of the range itself, the downdraft systems mostly made for either an island type system where there is no way to put an overhead venting system or a Kitchen that the wall that is an interior wall where there is no way to put a vent out to the wall, if this has a overhead vent system there is no need to have the downdraft, the downdraft is mostly made for systems going out through the floor in cases where it's difficult or impossible to put her overhead vent or wall vent system in, a lot of homes are built with islands that the range is installed in or not near a surface wall where a vent could be installed, since you had a reputable service company state that the system is fine there's no need for the downdraft, you can have a home inspector in if you wish to have this put in writing to certify that the vent system is adequate for the range, hope this information is useful, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.