Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Brand New Whirlpool WTW4950 XWO Washer. Will not sense load

Customer Question

Brand New Whirlpool WTW4950 XWO Washer. Will not sense load properly. Only a minimum of water used, not even enough to wet the clothes. Takes 3 wash cycles ans sever pitchers of water to get the soap out.
Factory service ordered main electronics control board, replaced, no change. They ordered a door/lid switch, but that is just a guess from them. Nothing wrong with switch that I can tell.
Any ideas? A month with no washer sucks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Did he check the water valve itself in the washer for power?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know if he did or not. How much voltage should be there? I am assuming it is AC, I can check that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Yes they should be 120 V AC going to this one it's in the fill cycle, the funny thing is your not getting hot or cold water?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan.....I am getting hot and cold. It almost seems to me that the "sense" is not reading properly, thus it does not fill properly

This is the "smart washer, no real agitator, lo water consumption" I miss my noisy thumping agitator with the bad bearings

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
So to just doesn't seem to be enough water going in the wash the clothes I guess, you say this is new its brand-new? I hate to see you do too much because they will try to void your warranty, what I think is going on is the water level control is bad and not sensing the amount of water, I don't understand why a service tech would come out and start replacing parts and not know what he's doing, my problem is this machine is so new I don't have the information on all of it but I do know how the old ones worked in it usually has something to do with the water level sensor, I know what you mean about the thumping agitator they were much better machines and didn't have a lot of problems even though you're saving water look at the trouble you're having with this new machine, did he put this in diagnostic mode? There are diagnostic modes you can put these in and it should tell him what the issue is, I just can't understand why he hasn't done that to determine the problem, for the older WTW models have a diagnostic test you can do on the machine itself which will come up with a code, this is how the older machines are put into diagnostic mode,

1.Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in

with all indicators off; or with only the Clothes

Clean or Done indicator on).

2. Select any one button (except POWER, START,

STOP and PAUSE/CANCEL) and follow the steps

below, using the same button (remember the

button):

a. Press/hold 3 seconds.

b. Release for 3 seconds.

c. Press/hold 3 seconds.

d. Release for 3 seconds.

e. Press/hold 3 seconds.

? If this test mode has been entered successfully,

all indicators on the console are illuminated for

5 seconds with 88 showing in the Estimated

Time Remaining two-digit display.

? If indicators do not display as described above,

the press/hold/release procedure above may not

have been performed within the time frame

necessary for successful entry. Repeat step 2 to

ensure this was not the cause. If still

unsuccessful, see Diagnostic: Unsuccessful

Entry, page 1.

3. The program then checks for saved fault codes:

? If there are saved fault codes, see Diagnostic:

Saved Fault Codes, page 2.

? If there are no saved fault codes, all indicators

on the console will momentarily turn off, then

turn back on with 88 displayed. After 5

seconds, the Automatic test, below, begins. See if it works the same on yours and let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, but this is very different. There is only 1 button on front, it is power/pause/lock. One bit of info I found was to hold it in for 10 seconds to do a reset, but nothing changed. There is no display, just "sense,wash,rinse,spin,done,lock" LEDs.

If you think of anything, let me know. I guess I'll get A&E factory service back out, let them swap more parts.

I'm in the electronics biz, and know that "stuff happens". I am a little surprised by Whirlpool, they would not even agree to give me a month's extra warranty since it hasn't worked from day one.

Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 5 years ago.

Hello, my name is Dave. The control has the pressure switch built into it so if it was replaced you have already done all that you can as far as the washer goes. They do use very little water and another service call will not help. It will only fill up to about the top of then impeller. Here is a trick that will help with the rinsing. Set the fabric softener button to "Yes". This will cause the washer to fill up higher in the rinse cycle and the clothes will rinse much better. Also make sure you cut back on detergent and only use HE detergent. Hope this helps you out.

Dave

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dave - It never completes cycle, only pops back to only the wash LED. Looking this up, I find that in means cycle could not complete. Looking at clothes, they never get fully wet, and still have soap in them. I have never witnessed water above the bottom holes, think that is the primary problem.

Ok, thanks. Check the drain hose. Make sure it goes up as high as the washer lid and then the end only goes down into the drain pipe about 4". Let me know what you find.

Dave

Checking the hose may not make any sense to you but if water is going down the drain the washer control sees this as a problem and the washer cycle is interrupted.