John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Our frigidaire affinity dryer (2 yrs.old), does not heat anymore.

Customer Question

Our frigidaire affinity dryer (2 yrs.old), does not heat anymore. Everything runs as normal, but no heat. Changed lint duct behind dryer with no results. Bought new at scratch and dent retailer, no model number found on unit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hi Im John I will help you with the heat problem.

Did you try to re-set the breaker in the fuse panel , do you have a meter to check the element for a broken element ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't reset breaker. Unit does everything normal. I will try the breaker. I have a meter, but I've never used it before
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Dryers - Admiral, Magic Chef, Norge, Performa, Frigidaire, White Westinghouse....

Always remember Electricity is dangerous and should be treated with respect.

Please pick a topic by Make and problem...hope you find this helpful :-)

Magic Chef, Norge American Admiral and the Maytag Performa is very much like the MagicChefFrigidaire, White Westinhouse

1. Changing from 3 to 4 wire hookup on an electric dryer

2. Dryer basics - venting problems and power supply

3. Dryer basics - timers and how they work

4. Dryer basics - dead dryer

5. Dryer basics - cord plug problems

6. Dryer repair flow chart....Click here.

7. Frigidaire and White Westinghouse style dryers - how to take apart

8. Frigidaire and White Westinghouse style dryers - noise problems

9. Frigidaire and White Westinghouse - motor problems

10. Frigidaire and White Westinghouse electric dryer - no heat

11. Frigidaire and White Westinghouse gas dryer - no heat

12. Frigidaire/White Westinghouse Rear drum bearing help - where does that little $#%%^&@ ball bearing go?

13. Front consol dryer - how to take apart - buzzer help

14. Gas dryer smell

15. Help for storing an appliance

16. How do dryer thermostats work?

17. How the belt is suppose to look at the motor and idler pulley

18. How long can my dryer vent be in length?

19. How to change a common Frigidaire dryer element

20. Important Disclaimer

21. If your drum belt looks like either of these....change it

22. Pilot flame help

23. Sample wiring diagrams

24. Test for ohm meter checking an electric dryer with no heat

25. What is a grounded element?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

4. Dryer basics - dead dryer

5. Dryer basics - cord plug problems

6. Dryer repair flow chart....Click here

7. For American Admiral, Magic Chef, Norge, Maytag Performa and Crosley - how to take apart and repair help

8. For American Admiral, Magic Chef, Norge, Maytag Performa and Crosley - gas dryer

9. For American Admiral, Magic Chef, Norge, Maytag Performa thermal fuse information Aid

10. For American Admiral, Magic chef, Norge, Maytag Performa parts breakdowns

11. Gas dryer smell

12. Help for storing an appliance

13. How do dryer thermostats work?

14. How the belt is suppose to look at the motor and idler pulley

15. How long can my dryer vent be in length?

16. Important Disclaimer

17. If your drum belt looks like either of these....change it

18. Pilot flame help

19. Sample wiring diagrams

20. Test for ohm meter checking an electric dryer with no heat

21. What is a grounded element?

White/Westinghouse - Frigidaire style dryer Noise problems: The most common area's for noise problems are the idler pulley, rear bearing and if you hear a scraping noise from the front of this dryer, take a look at the glides that the front rides on. This pictures shows the glides. Always use approved high temperature adhesive to replace the felt and glides. If you hear a scraping noise from the rear of this dryer, inspect the ball and socket on the rear of the drum. This area is especially susceptible to failure. See here for some how to take apart information.

White/Westinghouse - Frigidaire motor problems:

New section on something you should look out for when checking for a possible bad motor. Check this out.

I push/turn the start button and the motor just hums: Check for something jammed in the fan blower, worn glides, worn rear drum bearing, seized idler pulley or something jamming the drum, but unfortunately 9.5 times out of 10 this is a bad motor and you will need a new one. How to take apart.

The motor shuts off before the cycle is suppose to be finished: Make sure you read up dryer vents in the basics section. Motor's also have a built in safety thermostat switch, make sure the motor is not covered with lint and that the endbells are not plugged with lint. As the motor runs it draws air across it self to keep it cool while running, these end bells must be lint free. How to take apart.

The motor is dead: A test to see if motor is any good, hook up a test cord to the motor, plug into a 120 volt outlet to see if the motor will run. If motor runs, the trouble is elsewhere, ( like a possible open door switch, timer, thermal fuse ) if the motor is still dead with direct power to it, the motor is bad. How to take apart.

White/Westinghouse -Frigidaire dryer - electric no heat: See "how to take apart" first. Don't forget to check fuses in house fuse box and confirm that you have 240 volts to the dryer main connection. Test for 240 volts to the heating element, 240 volts to the element and no heat = bad element. The element must be physically broken to be bad. If you have no power at the heating element, remove power, remove wires to the heating element and isolate them so that they can't touch anything. Reinstall power and check each wire for power from the wire to the dryer cabinet, one wire will probably show 120 volts and the other will show zero. Make note of the color of the wire that has no power, remove power to the dryer and check the wiring diagram to find out where that color wire goes to. Example: - wires might be black and purple, if the black wire (example only) was the one that had no power, look at the wiring diagram to find out where that goes to and check only those parts, no need to check the other colored wire parts as they are working. If live volt testing scares you, try the ohm check instead.

You can lift the top up and remove the drum and check the element you can usually see if the coil is broken , follow these directions to get to the element.

if you require more assistance let me know please.