Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The Bosch Dishwasher Is Not Draining.

My Bosch dishwasher does not completely drain at the end of the cycle. There is a pool of filmy water up to the top edge of the pan.
I removed the cylindrical sieve, the flat sieve and put my hand in but couldn't feel anything unusual as a blockage.

I re-ran it on regular 2 washes ago and found it had drained. Then the problem returned with the next wash. No matter if I run it on 'Economy'.

My Bosch has the black light-up buttons on the top edge of the door. Two say cancel and drain and show a white line connecting them. I pressed these together and start at the same time, and the econo light button began flashing.

I looked at the hose connections to the sink drain pipe and they are dry and solid. The floor area around is dry, too.

What should I do or change next to return the unit to draining completely?

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Bosch dishwashers are not easy to work on for drain issues unfortunately.

You'll need to open the door and remove the center cylinder filter as well as the silver stainless mesh filter plate. This will allow you get gain access to the plastic sump (or pump cavity) below the filters. There is a little plastic dome held down by 1 screw on down inside the left side of the sump. Remove the screw (it's a size 15 torx bit screwdriver) and check for any blockages to the drain pump impeller that is now exposed. Put the cap back on and run another cycle to see if it works. If not, you'll need to uninstall the unit, disconnect the drain hose and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's clear---replace the drain pump. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to take the sump apart to check the drain impeller.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. I just watched the video and have a few questions...
Do I need to buy a screwdriver or is my regular philips head okay ?
What is the black wiggly thing the demonstrator pulled out with the needle nosed plier? Is it an item that clogged the unit ? Or a part to be put back in ?
Is there a way to send a snake though rather than uninstall the unit ? (probably beyond my skills)
A philips screwdriver will NOT work. You need a size 15 torx bit screw driver bit.

The black wiggly thing is the backflow preventer. It should stop water from coming back into the dishwasher but not from going out. You will need to push the rubber flap back in the hole after you remove it and make sure there isn't a blockage.

Sending a snake through it will not work because it goes through a side plastic chamber before it goes out the drain hose.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a way to blow through the hose without uninstalling ?
I need to shop for the tool. Is there a way to save your advice and to save the video for viewing later please?
no there is not, you will need to uninstall the unit if you don't find a problem inside the sump. After you accept there will be an E-mail sent to you so that you can see the conversation and refer back to it if you'd like. There will also be a link sent to you to come back if you have any follow up questions. Follow-up questions are free for up to 30 days.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the special screwdriver readily available at a local hardware store or is it a specialty tool for repairmen ?
Will the video be available later in a link in the email ?

Yes it is. And yes it will. Below is a link to it again just in case you wanted it again.