Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Ive got a Viking Model VGR36-4G-SS that has developed a problem

Customer Question

I've got a Viking Model VGR36-4G-SS that has developed a problem within the oven, it fires up but there is a constant sputtering sound from the burner bar, do you know what the cause of this could be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you. It's probably better to repair than replace the unit in this case.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
already measured it out and it is within spec, i do not believe this is the problem.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
then you just have a bad safety gas valve that will need to be ordered and replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any way to test this part? I'm not a fan of trial and error part replacement.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
there is no way to test it. You tested the igniter which is the only part you can test, that leaves only the gas safety valve.